What's new

Need advice on my first big screen purchase (1 Viewer)

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I'm about to purchase a new tv in about 2-3 weeks. I've narrowed it down to two models the Samsung HCM553 55" and the Panasonic PT45LC 45" LCD screen

My problem is that I live on the second floor and the tv would need to be delivered upstairs however there is a sharp turn to get into the apartment and it's looking like the only way to get the samsung in would be to possibly take it out of the box and turn it on its side because of it's large size.

So now i'm wondering before I buy it how safe that would be and if any major damage could be done to the tv by doing that. The store of course doesn't think so but they just want to make a sale and it would make no difference to them once they have the money. I'd have to sign a waiver for the delivery people to bring it here and I am extremely hesistant to do that unless I can be assured it's safe.

If its going to be a problem then I would buy the panasonic since it's lightweight and would be much easier to get up the stairs however it's $1,000 more than the samsung and I would prefer not to have to spend that much more on a smaller screen but I don't want to be out $2,000 if something goes wrong.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
It all depends on how careful your delivery guys are.
They should cut carefully around the bottom edge of the shipping box and lift the box off the TV.
If they have to tip the TV to get around a corner, so be it. They should do so gently without thumping and bumping.
There's no telling how many bumps the set has already suffered in the shipping process, so you'll need to do some calibrating once you get it set up.
Good luck!
Jan
P.S. Here's a pic I've posted before of my RPTV being delivered.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Thanks Jan

I have one more question. Does anyone know about how long an rptv will last? also what are my options as far as keeping it working for say 10 or more years.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

That alone would make me very hesitant.

Perhaps if you cast your eyes on something smaller? Jan here can make a good case for "smaller is better (for some people)" when it comes to RPTVs.

I don't think any RPTV should be outside its box until it is safely inside the home of its owner. And I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of tipping it on its side and trying to navigate a tight space.

But my colleague Michael Reuben had just that done in order to get his hulking widescreen RPTV into his Manhattan apartment. (Though, I believe, the set remained inside its shipping carton throughout the ordeal.)

Best of luck.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But my colleague Michael Reuben had just that done in order to get his hulking widescreen RPTV into his Manhattan apartment.
Uh, that was almost four years ago. But the story's still relevant.

In fact, the set had to be removed from its shipping carton in the lobby. I had carefully measured all of the doorways through which the set had to pass (after obtaining the set's exact dimensions), and I'd mapped out the route with the fewest turns. The set was up-ended and placed on its side on a dolly. That allowed it to get in and out of the main elevator, pass through my front door, and make the necessary turns in the apartment. I had to make special arrangements with the building, because generally deliveries must be through the service entrance and elevator, which would have involved many more turns.

I agree with Jan's advice. As long as the movers are careful in removing the set from its carton and maneuvering it, they shouldn't damage anything inside the side (though, as Jan also notes, you have no way of knowing what knocks it's taken during shipping). But I also agree with Jack that, when a store asks you to sign a waiver, that's a concern. It's almost as if the store is telling you that its delivery guys aren't to be trusted.

When I had mine delivered, the dealer recommended an outside delivery service that specialized in handling delicate items. It cost me some more, but the guys lived up to their reputation. It's worth considering.

M.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Thank You Michael,

Asking for a waiver really disinterested me from buying it. I've decided im better off just purchasing the LCD TV even though its more money and only 45" at 97 pounds i could carry it in myself and not have to worry.

I will make a follow up post in a couple of weeks once I get it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused-- what store is this that's making you sign a waver?

Every reputable store in my area-- if it doesn't arrive in your house in tip-top condition, the store eats it.

I would suggest looking to another store, if you have options,

Me

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I think that they wanted us to sign a waiver because its such a difficult delivery but of course thats only fair for them and not me so thats why i'm not doing it. I found the 45" LCD tv i'm going to purchase from another store and much cheaper around $2,800 shipped and i can bring it in and set it up myself since it weighs nothing.

I will post more after the new year when I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks