What's new

Need a fair dealer in SF (1 Viewer)

KeithR

Second Unit
VP of mine was getting ripped at a place, and I called them out on it. Store got all worried when I told him to substitute a few pieces, and then when he asked for a discount, they balked. He walked away. In NYC i could have gotten 20% off at least on the package.
Anyways, he is looking to get a Denon 3802, Paradigm monitor series, sub, some amp and in walls for the house, and an install. This is a $4500 job, where they wouldn't budge a dime. The install alone was probably like 600 bucks at least from this place. Nice cashflow for one afternoon of work.
If anybody has a good source (speakers don't have to be paradigm but something similar like PSB or B&W) and wants to give there dealer a nice-size ticket, please let me know. I think he is east bay area.
Either that, or I will try to get stuff from my local dealer, and find an installer--however, usually installers want to sell the equipment as well.
You can email me offline if you [email protected]
Thanks,
KeithR

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott*CB

Grip
I got my setup at Magnolia Hi-Fi which had pretty good service for a chain store. They have Elite, Denon, Yamaha, DefTech, M&K, M Logan, etc. They discount a little and don't give you high end attitude like some boutiques. You probably know enough by reading here.
Another place that was very helpful for me was Access to Sound in San Rafael. They were too high end for me but the Craig was very helpful and not snooty. They carry Rotel and DefTech and B&W. If I were doing a serious system I'd buy it there.
Link Removed

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I had a great experience at Link Removed they let me listen to whatever I wanted to for hours, even though I told them up front I wasn't interested in buying.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Keith, head up to Berkeley and go to Music Lovers and SF stereo. Both were willing to help me and listen to most of their equipment in the store.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'd second the recommendation on Magnolia - 2 locations that I know of in the Bay area (San Ramon & one in Santa Clara.) Good sales peoples - most are fairly informed and are easy to work with.

Jon K

Auditioning
i bought my yamaha receiver from magnolia hifi in santa clara about a year ago...they were nice and didn't try to push anything.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'll third the suggestion for SF Stereo. I go the Mt View store. Service is good and the sales guys are nice and informative. I've bought all of my speakers and amps there.

They discount a bit but don't expect a huge discount unless they're blowing some equipment out. Another good reason to go there is that they have a 1 year upgrade policy.

Only thing is that they don't carry Denon.

Bob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll FOURTH SF Stereo. I was very impressed with the service. Best B&W dealer I've been to so far.
So they don't carry Denon, who cares? Skip the Denon anyway...or get it online (6ave.com - $699).
I was at Magnolia last night actually. Good service, but not crazy about their selection. I mentioned that they looked a lot like Tweeter, and the girl actually told me they used to be a part of Tweeter. They are now owned by...>dramatic pause

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
John, wasn't going to go there but yes, who cares. If you're going to buy from places like SF Stereo, don't expect too many receivers to choose from. In fact, I think the only receivers they carry are from Rotel. Everything else there are separates. I'm like a kid in a candy store although 75% of their stuff is out of reach for my pocket book. It's always fun to hang out and listen to stuff you can't afford....maybe someday. :D

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Keith,
Noting that you list your location as Los Angeles, did you mean San Francisco or San Fernando when you said SF?
Edit: Oops, I reread your message. You mention the east bay area, which I will assume to be Northern California.
Michael

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
You could try Triad Home Theater & Audio. They're located in Walnut Creek. They've always been very helpful and not pushy even though I've never bought anything from them. Always went in to see what latest stuff they've got.
Triad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks