Natalie Merchant's Motherland..... Bad Hiss ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Heebner, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I pulled this one off the shelf to listen to the other day. I have listened to it many times in the past but I have not heard it with my upgrades (Sony DA4ES pre/pro, Rotel RMB-1075, Paradigm Studio 40's) and playing off a Sony 775. Anyways, I popped it in, sat down to relax a little, and noticed the background hiss on the music tracks. It was horribly distracting, and must be a part of the masters because it did it on every song, and was not evident in between songs (I had thought for a split second that it might be my stuff.)
    Maybe I've never really listened to it "critically' but after hearing it the other day IMHO it is at the point of being un-listenable. I tried her other two CD's...Tigerlily and Ophelia and the background hiss was there barely, but at only a fraction of what I heard with Motherland.

I really like this CD, but there is no way I can listen to it now....kinda like "once you spot a flaw in something everytime you look at it that is what you see" type of thing.

Anyone else experience this with this CD?

Matt
    Anyone else

2. George See

George See Second Unit

I've never heard a badd hiss or any hiss at all on that CD...my system is not up to the specs of yours but it's certainly well above average. I've only listened to it a few times ony my home system but no hiss that I can recall.

3. BobCleary

BobCleary Auditioning

I popped it in this morning to check it out, and I hear no hiss at all. This is on a NAD C541, Yamaha A-700 integrated amp, and B&W 201i bookshelf speakers. I hear a bit of distortion once in a while, but no hiss.

4. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm, I wonder what the problem is then. I have absolutely no hiss at all with any of my SACD's, and pretty low noise floor with regular CD's. Like I said previously, it is definitely there, to the point of distraction.

I wonder what the hiss could be from ?

Matt

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Loose wire?
    The CD sounds fine to me, too, as far as I can remember.