What's new

NASA & SpaceX: Journey to the Future (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I miss Tampa. I lived there from 2008 to 2014 and loved every minute. Before that I lived about 2 hours north of there when I was a kid. I went to the 2nd to last shuttle launch and toured the space center. It’s an awesome place
We used to live near Orlando and watched many space shuttles. It never got old.
Our first trip to the space center - many many years ago - we took our kids. Back then it wasn't so crowded and they would take you out pretty close to the space shuttles on the launch pad. We were up close and personal to the Challenger. I wish it didn't become so famous. All the best for our new crew. May they return safely.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
My family lived in Jacksonville Beach in the mid-'80s. We could see the space shuttle liftoffs from there.

Pretty cool. I wish I would have had a smartphone back then to record it.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looks like today is 50/50 weather will cooperate. The shuttle was often criticized for costing too much with Delays and the biggest reason was weather. Well, Now we see it wasn't just the shuttle that was Delayed

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been watching the coverage this afternoon. Pretty awesome watching the launch go off without a hitch. Minutes after launch the Falcon 9 lands aboard the recovery barge, just incredible. Very happy that everything, at least so far, has went so well. Rendezvous with the ISS will occur tomorrow morning.

It has been one miserable year, nice to see something go well on the national stage.

- Walter.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I've been watching the coverage this afternoon. Pretty awesome watching the launch go off without a hitch. Minutes after launch the Falcon 9 lands aboard the recovery barge, just incredible. Very happy that everything, at least so far, has went so well. Rendezvous with the ISS will occur tomorrow morning.

It has been one miserable year, nice to see something go well on the national stage.

- Walter.
Well, I give the launch 99% - It decided to hide behind a big cloud and I couldn't see it - darn it:wacko:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

- Walter.

Well, I give the launch 99% - It decided to hide behind a big cloud and I couldn't see it - darn it:wacko:

As I Stated earlier in the thread, I have not been a real fan of Musk. I must say however, that What I saw was extremely impressive. I think it will remind people of the hope that exists as the late President Kennedy called for at Rice University. I thought it was wonderful that unlike the Space shuttle (which I loved dearly ), we could see in flight video once the rocket reached space. I will be interested to see the docking procedure in the morning at the ISS

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I really want to know what the subjects of the documentary "Behind the Curve" are thinking right now...
They’ll do what people do when the facts disagree with you: call it a hoax.

I watched it on Discovery and I found them to be a little too show-bizzy . Katie Perry sitting on the moon, really?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m wondering if this mission was one of the “oldest”? Both astronauts were around 50 years of age.

I’m going to have to adjust to the look of those suits. They remind me of something, is it “The Power Rangers”? They remind me of something.

Anyone know how the main engine portion compares to the Saturn?

Congratulations to Space-X.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Earth planetary defense system successful

From what I understand, this mission is only considered successful if the asteroid's trajectory is altered. That will not be known for awhile. So this would just be "phase 1" completed successfully, and the final outcome is yet to be determined.

Still, it's pretty amazing that the rocket successfully hit the asteroid. And without Bruce Willis' help. ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
From what I understand, this mission is only considered successful if the asteroid's trajectory is altered. That will not be known for awhile. So this would just be "phase 1" completed successfully, and the final outcome is yet to be determined.

Still, it's pretty amazing that the rocket successfully hit the asteroid. And without Bruce Willis' help. ;)
I would think that hitting a small, moving target like that would be a partial success. If the traajectory is not altered or not altered enough, they will still have learned much of what they need to know to move a space rock. For instance, tomorrow, a city killing asteroid that will hit earth is discovered. We are in much better shape to do something about it then we were before this mission.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m not sure how much the asteroid’s orbit around its primary asteroid will be changed by impact from a satellite with the mass of a cow, but it does make for good reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks