What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Mystery Men is a curious film. Released in 1999, before superhero films became an outsized portion of the cinema-going menu, it seems to show a little pre-cognition for the world of caped and superhuman heroes that would emerge as an unstoppable force following Iron Man in 2002. That it doesn’t quite realize its ambition; that it doesn’t adjust all the dials of style, production, character, and script into something that achieves the right scale of laughs given the talented cast, or subvert the genre given the Dark Horse comic origins, is something of a disappointment. Still, the film manages to assemble itself into enough of a playful, good-looking creation to be something oddly unique and endearing. It’s certainly quirky and competent enough to deserve a cult status.
Kino Lorber released the film on 4K in November of 2022 and while we didn’t review it on its release, personally purchasing a copy recently and then hearing of Paul Reuben’s death (who played a memorable character in...

Continue reading...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One has to wonder, after the failure of this film, how much of it inspired Ben Stiller in his development of Megamind.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I like this film, and really like how this looks on UHD. Very colorful.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It gave me more than I had expected, nice cast, fair script and as mentioned here, on the cusp of the super hero forefront. It made and makes me smile and Tom Waits was one of the cherrys in this bizarre Sundea confection...And yes, I pushed that button!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks