What's new

mystery decline on my credit card (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I have an account at one of the major online DVD retailers. My Spider-man DVD was set to ship today and arrive Thursday or Friday.

I got an e-mail today that my credit card had been declined. I find this odd because the credit card I use for this stuff has a zero balance and I pay off everything at the end of the month. I called the credit card company and they told me that everything is okay and that no authorization was even tried on this card.

Other then when I had an old credit card expire this has never happened before.

I suspect it was some kind of goof at this retailer so I replied saying they should try again.

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone here before?

Chris

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I had it happen to me once; turned out it was just a matter of a typo; I had misqued a digit while typing into a website (a 7 instead of an 8) and while it was a valid CC #, it obviously couldn't post to my card. If your CC company says there wasn't even an attempt, I'd think it may be something similar.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
This online retailer actually has my credit card stored. I really like the convenience of pre-ordering them and then having them show up in my mail box the day before street. I am not very forgiving though. If this turns into a problem I will let them go and try elsewhere.

Last week I got E.T. and just yesterday I got The Sum Of All Fears. But for some reason when they tried to run it for Spider-man it got declined. I just don't get it. Hopefully they will try again.

Chris

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Perhaps it wasn't really a decline but some other problem that prevented an authorization from taking place, such as a communication link problem, or a server being temporarily down. They should try again, and it should work the second time around.

KJP

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
If that "major online DVD retailer" is DVD Empire then I had the same thing happen to me. Co-incidently my order included Spiderman - go figure.

Called my bank and they said everything was fine and that they had not received any calls from DVD Empire about the charge.

I emailed them back to request they run it again and was informed that:

"There was a power outage that affected some orders, and caused many to be archived. Your order has been re-opened for processing."

So hopefully they will resubmit and the order will be processed and shipped.

Colin

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello Colin,

I got the same exact reply from DVD Empire this morning and that my order had been re-opened.

I still have not gotten an e-mail about my order shipping though. This has gotten me a little worried that it will not show up by Friday. I originally opted for Priority Mail. The proper thing for DVD Empire to do is go ahead and bite the bullet and send those affected orders out via FedEx.

Chris

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Hey Chris,

I just checked my account and it shows that my order was reopened and did ship this morning. So all appears to be well again.

I have always been very satisfied with DVD Empire and in fact this is the first "glitch" that has occurred. I could tell you some real horror stories involving two other DVD online sites.

Regards,

Colin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I had a similar problem with Deep Discount CD last week. This card has zero balance (for the most part) and a limit that I would never reach. Not only was my order declined but they just CANCELLED it. And of course their notification email gets snagged by my junk mail filter ...

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Just to let everyone know I got an e-mail that my Spider-man has now shipped. It came in when I was at work. It should be here by Friday no problem.

I am very satisified on how DVD Empire handled this matter. They had a power failure that caused the system to drop some orders and send out decline messages. All I did was tell them to try again and they did and it worked.

Problems happen everyday at every business. How those problems are solved is what really matters.

I like DVD Empire's easy to read web page and I love the convenience of being able to order the movies in advance and have them show up in my mail box. I usually only get Monday's off from work and Tuesday is a very long day. Getting the movies one day early is the best thing of all. It really works out well.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks