What's new

My Turn! Request Suggestions from Guru's on EQ'ing (1 Viewer)

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,
I have always appreciated the help here at the forum. I now have done some measuring in my room with my new Tempest Sono. Can you offer suggestions on improvement?
I have acquired a BFD and am ready to put it into action! Pics of the room etc. to follow.
http://members.csolutions.net/hamilton/
Thanks, Casey ;)

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Casey
I suggest that you go to Sonnie Parker's website: Link Removed There you will find an excellent tutorial on how to use the BFD and a Rat Shack SPL to equalize your subwoofer.
Regards,
TCIII

Ned

Supporting Actor
You only need about 1 parametric eq to "correct" what little peak you have. Say a band centered at 36-38hz with 1 octave width and 3db cut. That should give you a decent "house curve". Try moving the fake tree around, might help too :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

click on the link in my sig file. ...has a BFD program that lets you model the BFD responce onto the measured responce.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Say a band centered at 36-38hz with 1 octave width and 3db cut.
Actually, I think Ned is trying to recommend reducing the area between about 30Hz and 60Hz. This would require a 1/2-octave filter, not a one-octave filter. A one-octave filter would effect changes all the way down to 20Hz and as high as 80Hz (i.e., a full octave both ways from center). This will deepen the notches at 22Hz and 63Hz by as much as 1dB – not what we want.
Fortunately, Casey, your response problems are fairly symmetrical, so it won’t be hard to equalize. A single 1/2-octave filter affecting the range between 30Hz and 60Hz, if that’s what Ned was recommending, would be an improvement, but if you want to eliminate those two notches at 22Hz and 63Hz, it will require more aggressive equalization.
I know the Behringer equalizer uses peculiar bandwidth designations as fractions. I’ll supply both octave and Q figures; hopefully you can translate this into “Behringer-speak.”
Here are the filters you’ll need, with recommended starting adjustments.
  • 1/4-octave (Q 5.8) filter centered on 63Hz, boost about 6dB.
  • 1/3-octave (Q 4.3) centered at 40Hz, cut about 6dB.
  • 1/6-octave (Q8.7) at 23Hz, boost 5dB or so.
The caveat is that actual affected bandwidth depends on how much you boost or cut each filter. So, the actual filter Q might need to be narrowed or broadened. Keep an eye on the outer parameters of the filters after adjusting gain – if the response changes appear to “spill over” beyond for instance, the 1/2-octave we’re shooting for with the 63Hz filter, then tighten the Q to get the desired response. If response changes don’t seem to reach wide enough, then open up the filters a little.
After you’re done, you should have good response within about ±6dB below 80Hz, with a built-in house curve of 6dB between 80Hz and 31.5Hz. Still, this is fairly flat response, so depending on the size of your room, it may not sound good.
The problem with flat response is that it tends to sound, well, flat. Response that is perceived as sounding “natural” with satisfying bass requires the house curve you’ve seen mentioned, which essentially is an upward slope from about 100Hz and leveling off at about 30Hz.
If the 6dB slope you end up with after EQing isn’t working for you, try dialing in a more aggressive house curve. This link will give you some tips on how to accomplish this with the Behringer Feedback Destroyer.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ned

Supporting Actor

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
All,

Thanks a bunch for the input! Appreciated!

Wayne,

My problem is my "Behringer Speak". I have the greatest intentions of translating the instructions you gave me! I will investigate further! I did want to add that those measurements were from Couch 1 right in the middle. I have not measured from any other location as of yet.

Again, thanks for the assistance, now it it time to act! :)

Casey

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, Bruce, Anyone!
Here are the filters you’ll need, with recommended starting adjustments.
1/4-octave (Q 5.8) filter centered on 63Hz, boost about 6dB.
1/3-octave (Q 4.3) centered at 40Hz, cut about 6dB.
1/6-octave (Q8.7) at 23Hz, boost 5dB or so.
Can anyone give me a kick start on how to input these values that Wayne gave me? I think I am starting to understand how it works but could use a shove!
Thanks, Casey ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks