What's new

my subwoofer get louder after a certain volume (1 Viewer)

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an Onkyo tx-sr501 and i was testing out the power. I have a KLH subwoofer (E10) that i got from costco for 80 bucks. I noticed that once the volume got past a certain level the subwoofer does not seem to get any louder. Is this just because it is a crappy subwoofer? Do most people have separate amps for the subwoofers? I didn't try moving my sub to a different place but i did aim it different ways and it still couldn't get louder. Could this be a location issue of should i just consider buying a new sub.

Im pretty sure that costco will take back the subwoofer (i saved the receipt just in case). Does anybody know if this is true?

MarkO

Second Unit
It could be a limiter in the sub itself or bass cancelation. Try moving the sub around a bit. If that dosent help suspect the limiter.

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator
the thing is i just upgraded from a yamaha reciever. The yamaha did not have an subwoofer pre-out so i had to run my fronts through the crossover on the sub. The onkyo has a sub pre-out. Also the yamaha distorted my speakers at a pretty weak volume but i never noticed the sub cutting out. Could it be my new receiver?

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator
also the sub is only 100 watts. The onkyo cant put out 100 watts so i assumed that it wansn't a problem with the sub not being able to handle the output from the reciever. how much does your average powered sub usually put out?

Jonny K

Second Unit
I would guess that the subwoofer is not able to handle that volume/power. When you turn it up, the subwoofer has protection circuitry that prevents the sub from getting too loud and becoming damaged. My computer speakers do the same thing - I get way more bass at lower volumes, and when I turn it up the bass seems to drop off.

I don't know what you're looking for in a subwoofer but as for myself, I wouldn't be able to stand having a sub that couldn't get loud. ;)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
The sub is self powered and the receiver is not the culprit for the situation your describing. Personally I've had a KLH sub, they truely are peices of shit and there is a reason they are the cheapest thing out there. The reason the sub doesn't go louder is because you've pushed it waaaaay passed it's limits. That thing must be distorting and flapping like crazy, with no resemblence of a real bass tone with the way you describe things. Your probably destroying that sub listing at any kind of modest to loud listening volumes. Also have you calibrated the sub with your speakers via a SPL meter so they match output? This may help keep you from damaging your sub. If you have a couple hundred to spend, start looking for a new sub, but don't expect chest pounding bass in this price range unless you can DIY.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Kyle,

The sub has its own power cord to plug into the wall, right? If it does, then it is a powered sub, and just like Wayne said, it's not the receiver causing the problem.

It would be a good idea to get an SPL meter from radio shack or whatever and a test disc like Avia or Video Essentials and do a little bit of calibration. That's probably about the best you can hope for.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
If you want it louder, you'll have to get a better sub. I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to check out SVS or Hsu subs (SVS is only available via Internet). If you've got the time and ambition then try a DIY sub.

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible just to replace the driver and have a sub sound good? Is it possible (and easy) to match a driver to a specific box volume? It seems most DIY's you buy the driver and then build the volume, not the other way around. Would i also have to replace the amp since my problem is not enough power?

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I've never built a sub before, so this is probably worth about what you paid for it :), but I think that a well designed sub is a combination of matching the driver, amp, and enclosure. Increasing the enclosure volume can make up for a lack of power, and increasing the power can make up for a lack of enclosure volume, although there are always limits.

I would guess that with the sub you have now maybe replacing the driver could make a noticeable difference, but if you're going to go to the trouble, you're probably better off starting from the beginning.

Matt

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator
if i were to start over and buy all new parts, is there any reason for my to get a sub with power output higher than my reciever output? My onkyo puts out 65 w/ch, so would a 100 amp (a real 100 watt amp) be enough power? Theoretically would a 65 watt amp be enough?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
If the subwoofer is a active design (you plug power and low level LFE out) then the Onkyo's output has no relevance at all. It could be a processor, 25W or 2500W- it doesn't matter.

Sounds like it's a naff sub though and you're pushing too hard. I wouldn't even bother try to replace the driver/amp panel. Just buy a new HIGH QUALITY sub. :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
OK, right now, for all practical purposes. Throw out the power matching.... That KLH Sub your using is just the bottom of the barrel sub is all. I would bet good money, it does not even attain sub frequncies, and does notput out anywhere near 100watts at its operating supposed frequencies.

In short heck no.. For a Sub, the meaner the better period. With that said, the 12" Sony Powered Subs for around $135 at B&H Would be decent for you and a massive improvement over that sub. (Still not great though)

There is so much more to a sub, than power ratings.
But in short, you can never have to mean of a sub.

KyleCT

Stunt Coordinator
is it a problem that the sub is only 6ohms? a simple yes or no will do. I would hate to have you explain everything to me. haha

John S

Senior HTF Member
If the sub is powered, the amp will be matched to it's driver.

If the sub is not powered and uses an extrenal amp, as long as 6 ohms is supported on the amp, it will be fine.

If you talking about replacing a driver in an existing powered sub, then match the impeadence of the one that is comming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks