What's new

My new Flexi-Rack (web page finished) (1 Viewer)

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got around to putting together a write-up on my website for my new Flexi-Rack...
If you're interested, you can check it out here:
Clay's HT Flexi-Rack
I've already finished the cut list for the media cabinet's drawers, but the labor Day weekend will slow me down on this project... Hopefully, I'll have something to show on this within a couple of weeks.
Asta...

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
I highly doubt it... Just go to McMaster Carr, type "Ball Transfer" in the search box and click find. There are six pages of them, but the ones appropriate to us are on the first page in the search (actual catalog page 1048).
Part Numbers are: 5674K61, 5674K63, and 5674K64.... There are others I am sure could be adapted in various ways... These simply seemded to be the best ones...

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice flexi. I built a smaller one(five shelves) from a thread on the TNT Audio site. Almost a perfect copy of the Salamander Archetype. I used simple crutch on the legs since I won't be moving it that much.

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

It's rock steady... I don't know if it is due to sing 0.75" rods (rather than 5/8"), the close tolerance on the holes (well 1/16" really isn't all that close), or the greater depth in the shelves, or what.... but it is absolutely rock steady. Of course, you still need to watch the weight distribution to keep the center of gravity below the midpoint to be safe...

One thing about the deeper shelves.... It allows me to keep ALL of the mass of the system inside the imaginary rectangle formed by the four transfers... This is a good thing... Weight OUTSIDE the transfer square acts as a lever to destabilize the unit (same priciple is at work on any shelving system).

Cam S

Screenwriter
How sturdy are those racks compared to other comercial units? They look fairly flimsy too me, but I've never seen a Flexi up close.

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Of all the words in the English language, "flimsy" is the last word I would use to describe my flexi...
3/4" A-grade MDF with horizontal grade laminate on all sides and edges (double or triple glued)... 3/4" solid steel threaded rods passing through precision drilled holes with only 1/16" clearance... 1.5" OD steel washers on both sides of each shelve as backup under 3/4" steel nuts... all riding on 4 ball transfers with a rated capacity of 250lbs a piece...
I've never seen any of the higher-end commercial brands, but they can't be a whole lot beefier than this one. :)
You can push horizonally against the edge of the top shelf (which is BTW, 5'-11" above the floor) and get unmeasurable deflection in the unit. In fact, with enough force (a lot), the FIRST reaction is for the shelf unit to FINALLY begin to tip on a single pair of transfers... but it won't go very far and the grounded set slips and rights the unit...
Maybe I was just lucky... or maybe it's just is a good design...

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Flimsy? Not the term I would use to describe the flexy. Mine is similar to this one except I doubled the top shelf and spray painted it glossy black. Total cost was around $130 - $150.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks