What's new

My Computer Can't Find My DVD-ROM or CD-RW Drives (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I was updating my CD writing program to work with WinXP. I installed it, I restarted, and now my computer cant find my DVD-ROM and my CD-RW drives. My device manager is telling me....

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
I click on "Update driver," but it can't find any updates. I have my CD-R/CD-RW drive CD with me, but I can't use it due to I can't access my drives. Could somebody please help me?

My DVD-ROM drive: Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-114

My CD-R drive: HP CD-Writer+ 9100

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Try using the system restore feature. I know someone who runs XP and had the same thing happen, and system restore worked.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I agree that the system restore feature should solve your problem. However, if that fails to work for some reason, try going online and downloading the older drivers from the web.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Go into Control Panel, Device Manager, delete the two CD drives, reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the generic drivers for them.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I tried the system restore feature first, that didn't work at all (I don't know why).
So I then went into an AOL chat room (yes, the horror, the horror :)) and people helped me find XP drivers for the CD-R drive. I downloaded them and installed them, restarted, and with that, both the CD-R and the DVD-ROM drive worked again. What I'd like to know is that why the CD-R affected my DVD-ROM drive? Hopefully this will be the last problem I have with XP.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Matthew -
Do you use both an IDE and SCSI interface? i.e., an IDE DVD and a SCSI CD-R like Plextor or something. Maybe that has something to do with it. Sometimes, it's just voodoo....
I'm glad that it turned out okay! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks