My Computer Can't Find My DVD-ROM or CD-RW Drives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Chmiel, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I was updating my CD writing program to work with WinXP. I installed it, I restarted, and now my computer cant find my DVD-ROM and my CD-RW drives. My device manager is telling me....

2. Liam S

Liam S Stunt Coordinator

Try using the system restore feature. I know someone who runs XP and had the same thing happen, and system restore worked.

3. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I agree that the system restore feature should solve your problem. However, if that fails to work for some reason, try going online and downloading the older drivers from the web.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Go into Control Panel, Device Manager, delete the two CD drives, reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the generic drivers for them.

5. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Did any of the above suggestions work, Matthew? Just curious.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I tried the system restore feature first, that didn't work at all (I don't know why).
    So I then went into an AOL chat room (yes, the horror, the horror [​IMG]) and people helped me find XP drivers for the CD-R drive. I downloaded them and installed them, restarted, and with that, both the CD-R and the DVD-ROM drive worked again. What I'd like to know is that why the CD-R affected my DVD-ROM drive? Hopefully this will be the last problem I have with XP.

7. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Matthew -
    Do you use both an IDE and SCSI interface? i.e., an IDE DVD and a SCSI CD-R like Plextor or something. Maybe that has something to do with it. Sometimes, it's just voodoo....
    I'm glad that it turned out okay! [​IMG]