What's new

Multiple Zones? (1 Viewer)

Randy_V

Auditioning
Greetings to the gurus.

I'm in the process of upgrading my audio system. I will install a new 5-channel AM FM receiver/surround sound processor, but I also have speakers outside on the patio, in the bedroom and the kitchen that I currently have switched through a cheapo Radio Shack audio source splitter switch box.

What's the best route to go so that I can route audio to those other locations?

A receiver/processor with multiple zone outputs? Any suggestions?

or

Use a stand-alone zone splitter box? Suggestions?

I do not need to be able to adjust volume at the remote locations - just at the processor/splitter box.

Sorry if you get this one all the time - my 'search' of this forum didn't appear to come up with much.

Thanks for any insights you can provide me.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
if the unit you want does not come with a 2nd zone,heres a fairly cheap easy solution.
Get a passive 4 source switcher and run the analogs to it. Run the digitals to the reciever.
Run the switcher output to a 6 channel amp (fairly common)and then on to the 3 sets of speakers.
I have a rotel which has a volume control for each set of speakers..... or install volume controls near the speakers
Hope this helps
Grant

Randy_V

Auditioning
That does help - thanks Grant.

I was about ready to throw my hands up and storm off to Circuit City to get some real-world answers.

My perception of many of these forums is that unless a neophyte wants to discuss the resonating frequency of a midrange fluxing diode, then Circuit City is often times a far superior source for answers. Maybe the wrong answers, but at least an answer.

Maybe it's just me...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I think you need to be more specific; when a general question comes up, you feel like you could fill up a few volumes and rarely is there that much time.
When I started rebuilding my house and wiring the hell out of it, there wasn't a lot of info / products around. I can see why custom installers charge $$$$. Most sales people want to sell products but thats minor compared to labor charges.
I ended up wiring 3 rooms for surround and the rest for stereo.
Pick up some magazines and see what is out there ....in your price range and get a clear picture of what you (and your loved ones) want. Then you wont rebuy equipment because it doesnt meet your solution
Have fun and send me an email if you have a question that doesnt get an answer. I am a electrical engineer so it's not like I am just making something up....wish I was a salesman, I can see where the money is
Grant

Randy_V

Auditioning
Thanks again Grant. That is very good advice.

Time for me to do some in-the-field research.

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

This is what I did.

All the "flunky" stuff from my main system went to the bedroom system that is next to the kitchen and back deck. Now all I do is "crank" the bedroom system. No long wires or external amps to deal with.:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks