What's new

Multidisc dvd changers-Which newer ones are good? (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I have a older 5 disc sony changer in my home theater. But as i watch a lot of tv shows in my room i want a 5 or 7 disc changer. Which ones would you guys recommend?

capt

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joey, the new budget Panasonic carousel changer, the DVD-F65 and 'F85, look to be good for the money. The 'F65 goes for $130 and the 'F85 sells for $150. The 'F85 does DVD-Audio. I have a Sony changer from a few years ago that I have been very happy with, so I would also look at the current Sony models. The DVP-NC665 is out now.

See www.crutchfield.com for a good selection of DVD changers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joey, no problem. I should note that the Panasonic 'F65 actually plays stereo DVD-Audio. However, if you want to play DVD-Audio in surround sound as well, then go with the 'F85.

PeterCB

Agent
Keith, are you familiar with the Yamaha changers - either the old DVD C920 or the new DVD C940? On paper they look very good - DCDi by Faroudja, no chroma bug, Burr Brown DACs, DVD-A on the 920 or SACD on the 940. Your thoughts as always would be appreciated. Peter

ShaunC

Auditioning
Joey,

Actually the Panasonci F85 was on sale at Circuit City last week for $129. I picked it up and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's still $129 this week. :)

Good Luck!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got the Sony DVP-NC665 for Christmas last year, and I'm very happy with it. No DVD-Audio or anything like that, but it's a great progressive scan 5 disc changer. I didn't like the build quality of the Panasonics, felt cheap to me. I would've liked to taken a look at the Yamaha line, as I'm very happy with my Yamaha receiver, but they didn't have remote power controls, and there weren't any stores carrying the players nearby.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yamaha DVD C920.I like the picture and sound quality and it will also play DVD audio.Two things I don't like,slow disc change time compared with my previous Sony changer, and the unit cannot be turned on/off by remote, a pain if tour HT remote does macros.I paid about $ 400.00 but thi unit originaly listed for $ 700.00

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well guys i picked up a toshiba 2105 5 disc changer from amazon. It was on sale for $95(usually $150 or so) plus i had a $25 gift cert from my amazon CC. So it came to around $69.99 with free shipping

capt

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
The Yamaha CX1's remote has a Power button on the remote. Actually, it puts the unit in Standby mode, but it's better than nothing. Might still be able to find one for about $500 or less. Original retail around $1K, and has similar specs to the 920 changer, but a little heavier, and a few other extra bells and whistles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks