What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

MST3K Vol. 8 - All four episodes now announces - release date 9/20/05 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
http://www.mst3k.com/

FINAL VOLUME 8 EPISODES ANNOUNCED
We are pleased to pass along the remaining two episodes that will appear in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 8 DVD set. In addition to the two prevously announced titles, episode 902- PHANTOM PLANET and episode 907- HOBGOBLINS, the set will also include (drumroll)...episode 421- MONSTER A-GO-GO (with short: CIRCUS ON ICE) and episode 603- THE DEAD TALK BACK (with short: THE SELLING WIZARD).

The set is tentatively scheduled to hit stores September 20th.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Not a bad set and one I'll definitely pick up. I've heard good things about Phantom Planet and Hobgoblins, plus Monster A-Go-Go is famed in MST3K circles as one of the worst movies ever shown on the program (worst in terms of movie quality, not that of the riffing).

The Dead Talk Back is a bit of a strange choice, though. It scored pretty low on the Rhino Poll done recently (Monster-A-Go-Go scored very high, though) and I've never heard much demand for it.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Hey, any MSt3k episodes are good choices to add to our libraries.

Hobgoblins..one of my favorite episodes.
so,so terrible! but so, so good!

I'm all ready to buy it!!!

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
Hooray for Monster-a-Go-Go! I've never seen it, but I've been anxious to for a long time.
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the Sept 20 release date.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I would be amazed if the recent poll had any effect on the last 2 episodes added to this set. I will be picking it up, but I would have been picking it up anyway.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
We also have 8+ Volumes so I can do my own "Turkey Day"

I'm going to try and do 12 episodes on Thanksgiving.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Lame!! I knew in my mind that it would be pushed back though. If it was still intended for 9/20, we probably would have gotten wind of those last two episodes long before we did.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
IMO the series will never be complete because of rights issues, but with 176 episodes in total and about 36 episodes available so far (not including the shorts) at four per volume & roughly two volumes a year (if we're lucky) it will take, about.....*mock taps calculator*.......oh......forever.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Isn't it more like 3 volumes a year?

This new date makes much more sense, honestly. I was shocked that the announcement was so close to the release date when I read it.

Could a Mod fix the date in the thread title? And perhaps my spelling error, too, while they're at it? Thanks.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
It would take forever to get them all on DVD (or those that could forseeably be released), but I really am happy that Rhino is still plugging away at these. Every time they announce a set, that's 4 more eps I thought would never see the light of day on DVD!

I'm really looking forward to seeing "Monster A-Go-Go", as I've heard it is one of the funniest eps out there. Haven't seen it, but I love Joel-era MST3K. I love Mike-era too, don't get me wrong, but the sketches are better with Joel in them, IMHO.

May be a little early to start talking about Collection 9, but I think "Santa Claus" would make it an instant hot seller, even for those fans who have fan copies of it on various formats.

Oh, and any special features that Rhino includes also sells a lot of copies to the diehards. Me, I buy them all no matter what...

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Since this volume is being released in November, it's a pity they couldn't have gotten "Santa Claus" on it as a Christmas-related item. I'm afraid it won't be released until late next year now (assuming the movie is in a position to be released due to rights).

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Amy - It should be. It's a public domain film. And it's also very popular. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
Anyone know if there are rights issues with Warrior of the Lost World and/or Fugitive Alien I & II? Those are a couple of my favorites that haven't made it to DVD as of yet.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Okay, for Fugitive Alien 1 & 2, Sandy Frank owns the copyright on the overdubbed soundtrack. Sandy Frank loathes MST3K. Even when he is dead, I'm sure that he will stipulate in his will that MST3K never come near his former property again. As for the film itself, it is owned by some Japanese company.

So those I would say are extrememly unlikely to be released.

Warrior of the Lost World could happen if Rhino wants to pay for it. If it happens, I'm sure it will be further down the road. After all, Rhino still seems to have quite a bit of PD material to work with.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
"Sandy Frank! Sandy Frank! Gets horrid movies from Japan! Sandy Frank! Sandy Frank! Films are always poorly dubbed!"

Guess I'll have to head over to the Digital Archive thingie to get DVDs of those. Good to hear about WotLW, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks