What's new

MP3 has a bad spot on iPod but not on iTunes (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've run into this a couple times where there is a bad spot - sounds like a record skipping - on a file. I check the file on my computer and it sounds fine and replace the file on my iPod and the glitch is still there. Does this mean it's a bad part of the iPod hard drive? As I've added files to the iPod I've encountered the glitch again on a different song but I have no idea if it's the same spot.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've run into this a few times. I doubt it's a bad spot on the iPod hard drive. I use Exact Audio Copy with the external LAME encoder to create all my MP3 files. Even re-encoding the music song and recopying it to the iPod did not fix the problem. I ended up encoding those few songs via the MP3 encoder built into iTunes, which has worked so far. EAC w/ LAME does a better job encoding, so I used a higher VBR bit rate within iTunes to compensate for the difference -- I use 192K VBR with EAC, and used 224K VBR within iTunes.

My next step will be to see if the skipping may be audio clipping on the iPod. I downloaded a freeware program called MP3 Gain that lets you apply a volume gain to your MP3 files (it's completely reversable). FYI, you must turn off the soundcheck function on your iPod for the MP3 Gain settings to work properly.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the info. I also use EAC and LAME. I'll have to keep track of the problem songs - I can't recall the first song I noticed it on, but I'm pretty sure of the artist.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I encode my MP3s with Media player, and them import them to my itunes library.

After importing them to itunes, and then to my ipod, they work perfectly for a few weeks. After a while, my ipod will not play certain tracks, it just skips them. If I plug my ipod back to the PC, theyll work perfectly, but not o the ipod. I have to delete the file from my ipod, and then put it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks