What's new

Morrowind vs. Neverwinter (1 Viewer)

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious if anyone shares my view on this. I tried both Morrowind and Neverwinter in single player mode. While Morrowind sucked me in and hasn't let go off me yet, I did not enjoy the Neverwinter experience. Maybe it's the top-down view, the square-looking environment, or the experimental menu system.
I think Bethesda has done an amazing job with its game: the vast countryside, the naturally shaped architecture, the gargantuan number of quests, etc... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that NWN is crappy, because it is not. However, I simply find Morrowind to be more immersive than NWN.
Since to my knowledge, NWN has been received better than NWN, I'm wondering if I'm alone on this one.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with a majority of what you said. After spending a good bit of time with singleplayer Neverwinter and Morrowind, I would say that the single player game is much more engaging in Morrowind. I believe part of the immersiveness of Morrowind is the first person view as well. The third person birds eye view of Neverwinter kind of detaches you from your character. I think the reason for that is that Neverwinter is played with only one character (and a henchman).
Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape Torment for instance were both played from a similiar perspective as Neverwinter but in terms of combat (Party management and strategy is what I love the most) and enjoyability of the story (Especially Torment) I think those two games are quite a bit better than Morrowind and Neverwinter.(Just MHO of course:))
At the same time I believe Neverwinter's bread and butter is in its toolset and ability to create your very own adventures to play with friends. The toolset is much easier to use (Morrowinds has quite a learning curve) and it allows for some good roleplaying which is the most important thing.
Both games offer good single player adventures. If I were handing out recommendations I would say to get Morrowind if you are looking for a solid 200 hours of side quests and an enjoyable main story dedicated to the single player experience. If you want something that is going to provide hours of building adventures and roleplaying through them with friends D&D PNP style go for Neverwinter. You'll get a good single player story with it.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to agree with your description of the toolset. I have watched my GF create some nifty little dungeons very quickly in NWN, whereas in Morrowind, even the simplest of rooms becomes really tedious (or maybe I'm simply not as persistent as she is :)). However, I attributed some of that to the squarish vs. freeform design of the world. Since I haven't tried the NWN toolset myself, I'm not sure if that criticism is justified.
As for the single player game itself, I'm glad to see that I wasn't entirely off base. Thanks for you comments.

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to vote for NWN for now, I started with Morrowind, and while fun, NWN just seemed to suck me in. Of couse, now that WarCraft III is out, those two games will have to wait for quite some time! (why must they release so many good games so close together!?)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
At the same time I believe Neverwinter's bread and butter is in its toolset and ability to create your very own adventures to play with friends. The toolset is much easier to use (Morrowinds has quite a learning curve) and it allows for some good roleplaying which is the most important thing.
i haven't seen any really cool modules for this game yet.
Maybe the learning curve is too high?

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
even though Morrowwind is by no means a rental type of game, I had to rent it to see if it was something Id be interested in. Fortunately I did rent it, because I really really didnt like the game. I personally thought the graphics, with the exception of the water, didnt look that good. And, the first bit of the game, where you arrive from the boat, then need to goto that town, was just very boring.

now granted, i really didnt give the game a chance, at all. But, im going to now give NWN a try, and hopefully it will work out a bit better. (then theres always Warcraft III too).

cya!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
i haven't seen any really cool modules for this game yet. Maybe the learning curve is too high?
Not really. The only real "difficult" thing to learn in the Neverwinter toolset is the scripting. With that in mind though, I have never touched a single bit of C or C++ and I have NPC's walking waypoints, yelling stuff out loud. Its not that difficult to learn. Even better you can rip off a majority of the scripts from the main game itself. I personally ripped off the town crier script:).
Also Oscar, part of the problem is that the game has only been out for a few weeks. Of course your not going to see anything really compelling. What you are seeing right now is allot of prospective builders learning the ins and outs of the toolset, scripting so forth so on. It takes time to make something really special. My partner and I have been cracking at our server now since release and we have about 7 full tiles done with scripted NPC's, encounters and all. We still don't feel its good enough to put up though as we learn more everyday!
Secondly, this is when the real bugs are getting reported. As good as the toolset is, it has quite a few problems. Such as Guards who always face north if you place a "Post" waypoint for them to stand at. (there is a workaround). There is a very nasty module corruption problem going on that allot of people are experiencing (including myself). One final gripe is the lack of tilesets available. Can you believe there is no desert, winter, jungle or even different interior tilesets? Yes its true.
Right now thankfully we have some good user made desert and winter tilesets with more on the way. You will see allot more user created content in the future. You have to give the community time to grow and make the game better (as with Halflife for instance). Nothing goods gonna happen only 2-3 weeks after release..

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Not having a computer at home capable of running NWN, I do wish it was available for the XBOX. This is not a knock against Morrowind (which I very much enjoy) but instead I mean to say that I would also like to be able to play this game without buying a new PC. I can always dream but I do realize that while the XBOX is the most powerful gaming console available, it is still a pale imititation of a top-tier PC.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks