What's new

More Special Cable Channels On The Way...Gee Thanks! (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
Coming soon to your cable channels, will be LOTS of new special Tv "networks".
Because of the confluence of new broadcasting technologies and cheaper ways to create "networks" for your...ahem...
viewing pleasure, we should be seeing stuff like the following being offered up by broadcasters....
"Mag Rack"..."cable-exclusive VOD—16 offerings, each covering one topic in-depth with a recurring host and monthly updates" with such topics as..."American Catholic" (the Catholic scene), "BirdSight" (bird news/
documentaries), "Club Vegetarian" (natural food cooking/
preparation) and "Photography Close-Up" (trend reports and tips)"....."Goodlife TV", "Celtic Vision" and "FamilyNet" are in the family unit, while "Canal Sur" (news/
entertainment), "Cine Latino" (film) and "Latin TV" (music videos) are three of the Latino attractions..."....
"VideoJump", a proposed set of Asian services; an independently owned service highlighting "Japanese anime" (animation); and separate projects on books, fashion and water sports/recreation...."..."Kidstuff", edutainment for ages 5-12; "Offbeat", covering pop culture, technology and music; and "Passport", focusing on international travel and e-commerce..."..."television.com", a year-old Website devoted to TV news and trends; and "Vegas TV Network", a part-time channel....12 to 18 services...many with interactive or VOD capabilities..."Weird TV", a niche channel of offbeat material with live audience participation, and ITV, co-developed with Friends supervising producer Todd Stevens."
Doesn't sound like anything, well, exceptional, HUH ?
I still think the day with come when popular Tv shows like "Dick Van Dyke", "Friends", "M*A*S*H", "All In The Family", "Married With Children", will have their own Tv network, broadcasting the shows 24/7 !
I wouldn't mind that, would you ????
Here's the link....
http://www.tvinsite.com/cablevision/...y=breakingNews

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I think when the focus of a channel is too narrow it doesn't work. I know a lot of golfers but I don't know ANYONE that watches "The Golf Channel".

My big complaint is that we have literally 5 different home shopping channels.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'd be all over the Vegetarian channel.

I gave up watching Food TV because every time they'd make a recipe that could be vegetarian, they'd put chicken stock or something in it. Or when tofu was the theme ingredient on Iron Chef, they made it all with meat dishes! I wish that Food TV would at least have one show dedicated to meatless cooking, I would watch that regularly.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Jodee has one idea for a new Tv show...

How about anyone else ? If you could give an idea for one, what would it/they be ??????

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Here are a few others which should be considered

Trek Channel. 5 seris, 9 movies. Forget TNN

Bab TV (Babylon 5). A Series , movies, spin offs.

Eat my shorts network-All Simpsons all the time

Super Hero Net-Batman cartoons, spidey, x-men and all those other goodies

There are others but the list can go on and on

MikeAW

Second Unit
Morgan, I'm sure if you feel it will be handled the right way, it will be a Monster Hit ! Here's to hoping!

Ike

Screenwriter
Actually, Jodee,
FoodTV used to have a meatless show called Pick of the Day. The host was good, but I don't remember his name (Curtis?). It mainly centered around vegetables, but I think there might have been a few tofu shows. I'll see if they still show it.
Addidum: Nope, it looks like it's been canned. It wasn't bad, but since I'm not vegetarian, it really wasn't my cup of tea. But, The Beef Slaughter Hour would be! :D

MikeAW

Second Unit
Here's a listing of some serious new players...
"New Nets Battle Long Odds
Can they beat them? Here's the prognosis
Linda Moss
Cablevision
11/12/2001
FINE LIVING
Owners/investors: Scripps Networks
Executive team: President Ken Solomon, a veteran of DreamWorks Television, News Corp. and Twentieth Century Fox Domestic Television; senior vice president of programming Charles Segars, a former CBS and DreamWorks executive; senior vice president of business operations and acquisitions John MacDonald, an alum of News Corp.; and senior vice president of marketing Robyn Miller, a veteran of Walt Disney
Mission: This luxury-lifestyle network professes that it will help busy viewers sort out the best choices for dining, travel, homes and entertainment.
Launch date: Early 2002
Prognosis: With successes such as Home & Garden Television, Scripps' track record is impeccable. But the soft ad market and shell-shocked economy may not be hospitable to a luxury-oriented network.
Distribution: Time Warner Cable
MOVIEWATCH
Owners/investors: Hubbard Media Group
Executive team: Chairman and CEO Stanley Hubbard; president and chief operating officer Gary Thorne; president of television Rod Perth, who is a former top programming executive at USA Network and Jim Henson Television Group; executive vice president of marketing Jan Schuth; senior vice president of affiliate relations John deGarmo
Mission: To help viewers choose what movies to see—not just in theaters, but on premium channels and pay-per-view
Launch date: 2002
Prognosis: An uphill battle. Consumers already have E! Entertainment Television, Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood, and a wide range of magazines to consult.
Distribution: DirecTV says it's had talks about Moviewatch, but no deals have closed.
THE TENNIS CHANNEL
Owners/investors: Frank Biondi, former CEO of Viacom; fellow Viacom alums Philippe Dauman, Tom Dooley, Terry Elkes, Ken Gorman and Ed Horowitz; and IMG
Executive team: CEO David Meister, veteran of HBO Sports, Financial News Network, Cinemax and Sundance Channel; president Steve Bellamy, tennis player and coach; CFO John Brady, veteran of Showtime, VH1, Lifetime and Spelling Entertainment
Mission: To cater to tennis players and watchers alike, with a program mix that's 40 percent tournaments, 40 percent instructional, and 20 percent news and personalities
Launch date: Summer 2002
Prognosis: America loves tennis, but The Tennis Channel will have to draw eyeballs without having rights to any major tournaments. And as a stand-alone without any MSO owners, it may prove tough to get carriage.
Distribution: No announced deals yet."
Here's the link...
http://www.tvinsite.com/cablevision/...ate=11/12/2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks