What's new

Monsters Inc. Top Selling DVD of All-Time (1 Viewer)

BarryS

Second Unit
What the hell is The Fast and the Furious doing on that list??? And Rush Hour 2??? Mind-boggling, to say the least...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
What the hell is The Fast and the Furious doing on that list???
Due in no small part to forums just like this one that trumpted F&TF as a complete home theater workout. I doubt that the entire membership of this forum bought that title based on Ron's recommendation but I'm sure there were quite a few who took the bait and through word of mouth and heavy discounting by the studios (I saw this title in a ton of fliers for weeks!) this one has made it onto the list.

Beware the power of Vin Diesel with the ladies and the allure of muscle cars with the guys. Instant cross gender hit!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Spirited Away, currently playing in arthouse theaters in America is Hayao Miyazaki's latest, and possibly his best film

It has shipped in excess of 6 million copies in Japan, and beat Titanic for top earnings, over 200 million in a country where if a film does 50 theatrically it's a major hit

Thank God Monsters Inc. topped Shreck for the top selling DVD. I was afraid i was going to have to see that poor excuse for Smashmouth selling their songs again ontop of the list for a while, but gladly it was replaced by a much better animated and acted film.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
How well do you guys think the LOTR EE version will sell?

Im sure that it will a big seller for huge fans but be beat by AOTC in the long run.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
After this Christmas, all bets are off on the currrent top-selling list. By all accounts, DVD player sales will be the biggest consumer electronics item, even bigger than last year. With that, look for more family-friendly films as "Monsters, Inc," to head up the list. Part of the reason is that Grandma and Grandpa are now getting into DVD's.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I am suspicious about this list.

Do the numbers represent copies sold to retailers, or to consumers? I ask because after any "big" release, many of the shops have tons and tons of unsold copies that just sit around for months. Suncoast still has a whole shelf of PEARL HARBOR. In fact, after PH was released to DVD, there was some controversy surrounding the claims that it was the biggest seller of all time: the sales figures came from a BUENA VISTA press release and were not corroborated by a 3rd party.

Does anyone know how "real" these numbers are?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks