What's new

MLB: Astros sign Jeff Kent to a 2 year, $18 million contract (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Astros have an option for 2005. All I can say is it's about time the Astros signed a prolific free agent. Their GM, Gerry Hunsicker, called it their biggest free agent signing since Nolan Ryan 23 years ago, and the 2nd biggest in the franchise's 40 year history. Their president calls Kent's signing bigger than Ryan's. Berkman, Bagwell, Kent in the 3-4-5 slots makes for one of the top offensive lineups in the NL. Kent will play 2nd, moving Craig Biggio to the OF (either LF or CF, depending on where Berkman plays).
Kent actually approached the Astros about signing with them because he's friends with Hunsicker from when they were both with the Mets in the early 90s and he lives in Austin, with a ranch outside of the capital city.
Just last week, I was telling a friend of mine the Astros have no chance next year because they never sign any free agents. I'm glad I was wrong. :)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1218/1478962.html

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The Astros have an option for 2005. All I can say is it's about time the Astros signed a prolific free agent.
Profilic? I didn't hear that Barry was coming along also. Actually, his figures should stay the same. He is coming from one of the best pitchers parks in the majors, to one that is a hitters haven. Should make up for the loss of Barry, but in reality, figures similar to recent production will actually be a reduction in performance.

Denward

Supporting Actor
I don't know if the Astros's offense will be any better than last year. I've always been a big Bagwell fan, but I think he's on the downhill side of his career and I expect last year's disappointing numbers (by Bagwell standards)will continue to decline. Signing Kent upgrades 2B for them, but Biggio would have to be considered a below average OF. Moving Kent to 3B and keeping Biggio at 2B would be better for them, but I've heard that Kent wants to stay at 2B to improve his Hall of Fame credentials.:thumbsdown:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe the Cubs resigned that fatass Alfonseca. And they gave him a raise!!!:angry:
He had 19 saves but had 9 blown saves, a 2-5 record and a 4.00 ERA, which is horrendous for a closer.
Signings like this make it very difficult to be a Cubs, or a baseball fan in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks