What's new

Military Legal Advice (serious question) (1 Viewer)

liana

Agent
there is 0 statute of limitations on an AWOL soldier.

to make matters worse, going AWOL now could possibly label him a deserter.

Ive seen a few people go awol, and come back on their own concious. They army usually just seperates them. but im MI, it may be different in your field...

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
Having read an article in USNews and World Report recently. I would not want to be on the receiving end of the UCMJ. The deck is strongly stacked against the defendant.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I was in the Army for 4 years and saw a couple of people go AWOL. One was away for a couple months before returning on his own accord. They gave him some fairly severe punishment (reduced pay, lots of extra duty, restriction, etc) and then seperated him, though I don't know if it was Honorable or less.

So much of the punishment you recieve depends on your standing, meaning what kind of soldier you were, how you were seen by your superiors, reasons for leaving, your general attitude and simply the matter of the people in charge liking you or not. If you had a good rep while in and your supervisors/commanders will go to bat for you, it makes things much easier.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I have an update if anyone is interested.

My friend is now home with a General Discharge from the U.S. Navy.

Some other facts came to light and here he had "turned himself in" years ago but the offical paperwork was not completed properly by Naval Recruters and the Navy actually ended up apologizing to HIM.

Just thought I'd pass along the news.

Brian

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think justice would have been served with his brig time. That would have punished his whole family. I'm glad that they decided to not make a bad situation worse.

It is so rare to hear a mistake admitted.

Good luck to him...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear the situation turned out so positively. I'm also glad to hear that he had earlier corrected the problem.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks