What's new

Miami Vice- The Complete Series Blu Ray- October 4th (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Vice is one of my top five shows of all time! So happy were getting it on BD, I will happily upgrade from the DVD boxset (which is beautifully presented).

Hope we get lossless audio and all the original music is intact.

As for Knight Rider it's a fun show but I probably won't upgrade from the DVDs.

Would also love Mill Creak to release complete BD sets of:

- Magnum P.I.
- Quantum Leap
- Columbo
- The Rockford Files

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Vice is one of my top five shows of all time! So happy were getting it on BD, I will happily upgrade from the DVD boxset (which is beautifully presented).

Hope we get lossless audio and all the original music is intact.

As for Knight Rider it's a fun show but I probably won't upgrade from the DVDs.

Would also love Mill Creak to release complete BD sets of:

- Magnum P.I.
- Quantum Leap
- Columbo
- The Rockford Files
All but Magnum P.I. are running in HD quality on Netflix, and if blu is just as good/better than what is streaming, count me in!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, for the right price I might have to think long and hard on Miami Vice. I was never really into it back in the day. The music, on the other hand, was Da Bomb!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really like the dvd set from Universal I own. But Mill Creek?
I just sense Crammed episodes per disc, and over compressed image with some dreaded macroblocking for good measure. Bringing the blu ray quality on par with the dvd set from Universal.
I'm only going by Mill Creek's track record, but there is no way I'm buying this until I read some reviews. I would love to be pleasentley surprised.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I really like the dvd set from Universal I own. But Mill Creek?
I just sense Crammed episodes per disc, and over compressed image with some dreaded macroblocking for good measure. Bringing the blu ray quality on par with the dvd set from Universal.
I'm only going by Mill Creek's track record, but there is no way I'm buying this until I read some reviews. I would love to be pleasentley surprised.
Hi Bryan!

Believe me, I hear you regarding Millcreek and their cramming practices! However, going by my Three Stooges Millcreek DVD and Blu-ray sets of the same 6 Movies, their Blu-rays have much better visual quality, and minus the over compressed related anomalies, owing to the higher capacity allowed by the Blu-ray format.

I generally think it good practice to wait for reviews anyway (Except when I simply CANNOT!), but I suspect you may be pleasantly surprised by this MIAMI VICE Blu-ray Series set!

Millcreek's DVD sets, on the other hand, I tend to avoid these days, and for the same reasons that you stated above! :P

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Last edited:

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Mill Creek has acknowledged that a replacement program for Season 1 Disc 1 & 4 is in place (as mentioned by someone else in the MV Pre-order thread).

However, on Season 4's "Mirror Image" (Disc 4), there is no 2.0 audio when I play it on three separate players (Oppo and Panasonic) all with updated firmware. I tried Bitstream and LPCM and still no 2.0 audio. On the Blu-ray.com Forum, several people have acknowledged that their players (Sony) have the same issue. One person with Pioneer says no problems.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a wide problem or just a few discs, for which a return/exchange from retailer might be in order. Ugh, to ship back to Amazon from Hawaii...

Mill Creek said that they are only aware of the Season 1 Discs 1 & 4 issue. They did not see any other problems.

If you have this problem, e-mail them now with your player's make and model and specify that you don't have 2.0 audio on that disc.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hi Bryan!

Believe me, I hear you regarding Millcreek and their cramming practices! However, going by my Three Stooges Millcreek DVD and Blu-ray sets of the same 6 Movies, their Blu-rays have much better visual quality, and minus the over compressed related anomalies, owing to the higher capacity allowed by the Blu-ray format.

I generally think it good practice to wait for reviews anyway (Except when I simply CANNOT!), but I suspect you may be pleasantly surprised by this MIAMI VICE Blu-ray Series set!

Millcreek's DVD sets, on the other hand, I tend to avoid these days, and for the same reasons that you stated above! :P

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Picture quality aside, there is one great thing about the Mill Creek DVDs of Knight Rider and Miami Vice, at least IMO-- as I've said before, they have the original Universal logos of the time at the end of each episode. Why is this a great thing? Because the second-season original Universal releases of Knight Rider and Miami Vice were lacking the Universal logos at the end of each episode (it was just the Glen Larson logo for Knight, and the Michael Mann logo on Vice). Worse yet, each had that annoying modern 20-second Universal logo at the top of each episode (it could not be skipped without going to the second chapter; if you wanted to get past it, you had to manually search to about the :20 or :21 mark). Mill Creek's DVD releases remedied that very well, at least IMO.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Mill Creek has acknowledged that a replacement program for Season 1 Disc 1 & 4 is in place (as mentioned by someone else in the MV Pre-order thread).

However, on Season 4's "Mirror Image" (Disc 4), there is no 2.0 audio when I play it on three separate players (Oppo and Panasonic) all with updated firmware. I tried Bitstream and LPCM and still no 2.0 audio. On the Blu-ray.com Forum, several people have acknowledged that their players (Sony) have the same issue. One person with Pioneer says no problems.

Mill Creek said that they are only aware of the Season 1 Discs 1 & 4 issue. They did not see any other problems.
I emailed Mill Creek a few weeks ago, and my replacement discs arrived in the mail today. They are Season 1 Discs 1 & 4, plus Season 4 Disc 4. I have not had a chance to check these discs out, but this is great news!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I held off on this set as I wanted to see what people felt about the quality. I like to get it as S1 and S2 of my dvd collection are double-side disks which I cannot stand as they are prone to damage.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I held off on this set as I wanted to see what people felt about the quality. I like to get it as S1 and S2 of my dvd collection are double-side disks which I cannot stand as they are prone to damage.

(From an historical perspective).

Universal did eventually re-release individually the Miami Vice season 1 and season 2 sets as single-sided dvd discs. Initially covertly, and eventually officially.

Before S1 and S2 were officially re-released individually as single-side discs sets by Universal, the only way I could figure out the single-sided "covertly" released versions, was from examining the packaging closely. The "covertly released" versions of S1 and S2 had disc trays packaging which looked similar to the original S3, S4, and S5 packaging from looking at them from a side view, and they were slightly thicker than the original flipper disc tray packaging.

Nevertheless, the dvd versions are now all superfluous when it is easier to just buy the bluray version.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I'd love to get this but what I've read about picture quality has been mixed. Most say it's better than the DVDs but I've read that some episodes don't look as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks