What's new

MGM Army Of Darkness Region 3 (1 Viewer)

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
Seems like Anchor Bay having been yanking our chain, with the VHS-like footage on the Director's Cut, the footage does exist on film:

Check this thread out at deadites.net

Check out the screen shot comparisons on the 2nd page of the thread as well. There's also more footage on this edition.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay was not yanking anyone's chain. At the time the director's cut was being produced, they could not find decent footage for the extended version. AB had to go to Bruce Campbell for his personal beta tapes.

MGM International has the rights to this film outside of the U.S. and Canada. They also have all the materials available to them.

Sometimes distributors do not like to share or license materials.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I didn't know that, I've read on various boards that the footage no longer existed, maybe I'm mistaken. :b

Regardless there's a far superior print out there available for purchase. I'm sure there are many fans who want a decent copy of this cut of the film. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Any plans to bring this new cut to R1? Is it even legally possible?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, that is what I meant, any plans to bring this new Transfer to R1? Is it even legally possible?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes it is conceivably possible, whether it'll actually happen I'm going to say is unlikely. Rights to Dino DeLaurentis films are ludicrous

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Yeah, the Manhunter deleted scenes ALSO exist in film form...but Anchor Bay is not legally allowed to use that footage, either...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Yeah, the Manhunter deleted scenes ALSO exist in film form...but Anchor Bay is not legally allowed to use that footage, either...
Actually, AB announced a few weeks back that they will be re-releasing the Manhunter Director's Cut this summer, sourced from film, approved by Mann, and with a Mann commentary.

DJ

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
When Sci-Fi Channel first aired ARMY years ago, it was in a slightly expanded version that had a few extra scenes -- all of which appeared as if they came directly from the film elements. Certainly they all looked MUCH better than they did on the Anchor Bay DVD.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I am not super-familiar with regions. I have a region-free player though for sure. Is R3 PAL or NTSC? I would like to get this, but I don't really want the PAL speedup either (I am in USA, R1)

Thanks for any info,

Zack

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Actually, R3 covers most of Southeast Asia and as a result cn be either PAL or NTSC.

In fact, some R3 Hong Kong DVD releases are PAL. In Thailand, all R3 and R0 releases are PAL. Korea sticks to NTSC for their R3 and R0 releases.

The R3 Hong Kong disc is NTSC and is a different version of the film with an additional scene.

And Anchor Bay has stated that the Boomstick Edition will just be a repackaging of the previous two AB discs.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Just got done watching the R3 (actually R3 & R4) MGM Version. PQ is Great! Don't think its been said but this version is 5.1 too where the AB DC is only 2.0. I compared it to the DC LE and Theatrical versions. Big difference. I prefer the R3 MGM PQ over all of the others. The AB Theatrical is a close second but it looks like its been artifically sharpened. The worst is the DC. There is something wrong with the PQ. You can see it in horizontal lines like letters and even peoples eyes. Its either EE gone bad or, as I suspect, its a fake anamorphic transfer. I think they just anamorphized a 4x3 letterboxed transfer. The PQ is blurry overall. Framing in some shots is messed up.

I tried taking some snaps with PowerDVD 4.0 but I get some weird vertical banding in all the pics. Maybe someone knows how to fix this. Its the same kind of banding I see on the DC but horizontal. It doesn't show up in the pix but you can see it on a tv. For the record I viewed these on a 65" Mits HDTV played on my RP91.

AOD Snaps

robert*g

Auditioning
I can't wait to get a copy of the region 3 version. It seems to out of stock at a few sites. Anybody know how many places sell it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks