Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, Coppola says we are just a few months away from this getting released. He's on this podcast discussing it:

Accutron is honored to have Francis Ford Coppola as one of the featured guests of the podcast. The renowned American film director is celebrated for his contributions to the New Hollywood movement. His most notable achievements include directing the critically acclaimed "The Godfather" series, which earned him consecutive Academy Awards for Best Director. Coppola also made a significant impact with the war epic "Apocalypse Now." With a prolific and influential career, he remains a key figure in shaping the landscape of modern cinema. On The Accutron Show he speaks about his new movie 'Megalopolis," his opinion on the future of the world as well as a special revelation about the Accutron watch. Tune in and enjoy this incredible ride!

EPISODE HIGHLIGHTS
14:15 I am extremely positive about the future. I am sure we will understand that we are in this together and that we are capable of solving the very difficult problems in the world today.
26:27 Everyone is one to a million shot. The fact that your mother and your father came together to produce you, means that the odds of you existing are a million to one. Since you are so unique, your work should be personal and hence unique.
44:05 Did you know that the Accutron watch was responsible for wireless sync sound in movies? In the past they used to have the camera and the sound unit connected by a wire. A filmmaker had the idea that instead of having audio and video connected with a wire, if each one would get its pulse from an Accutron watch then they would be in sync.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have to admit, this a huge release for me as Coppola is one of the old masters and he is trying to work on a grand scale here again. I only saw three Kubrick films when they were released in cinemas, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut. Each was an event for me. This feels the same, even though Coppola worked more often and for hire. So, where each Kubrick film was a highly polished gem that took a great deal of time to create, Coppola made some films to recover from financial mishaps but, in my opinion, whenever he was making one he had really invested himself in, it was always a gem that I really enjoyed. So, needless to say, I am very excited for this picture. I know he's not done something "big" in a long time and generally people feel as Tarantino does, that older filmmakers fade at the end of their careers. I would not count out Mr. Coppola though, he may surprise you with his creativity and ability to visualize big ideas.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know he's not done something "big" in a long time and generally people feel as Tarantino does, that older filmmakers fade at the end of their careers. I would not count out Mr. Coppola though, he may surprise you with his creativity and ability to visualize big ideas.
I can't wait to see Megalopolis but I think it's impossible to say that, broadly speaking, Coppola's movies did not get worse as he went on. I'd say that he's a textbook case of what Tarantino talks about directors getting worse with time but once he started essentially making movies for himself late in his career, his work became interesting again. Even if this movie is lousy, it's heartwarming to see an old master taking a big swing near the end.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I can't wait to see Megalopolis but I think it's impossible to say that, broadly speaking, Coppola's movies did not get worse as he went on. I'd say that he's a textbook case of what Tarantino talks about directors getting worse with time but once he started essentially making movies for himself late in his career, his work became interesting again. Even if this movie is lousy, it's heartwarming to see an old master taking a big swing near the end.

I think when he was doing something that he felt was his, that he was really invested in, he always did a great job. He did slide in to for hire stuff, some of it was really good, some was OK, it often did not show off his personal touches but I think in those cases that is not what he was shooting for. I think for a while all he was doing was trying to get the picture done on time and have it be entertaining for an audience.

His real run of pictures that were really his masterworks runs from The Conversation to One from the Heart. That was his prime, he was making incredible and unique pictures. One from the Heart was not a success, it has issues, but still, what he did and what he was trying to do is really interesting. In the middle of that he has two truly epic pictures, The Godfather II and Apocalypse Now, these are stunning works that I believe, only could have come from him. He would slip into doing some small personal films and the experiment that was Twixt, and I enjoyed those, even though it was obvious he was taking much smaller swings, intentionally.

He's got other excellent pictures but in his "for hire" phase I think he reined himself in. I do love his Dracula picture, took me a while to really love it, but I think he was really creative with it. What I am hoping for in this new film is that he cuts loose again. Sure, he's much older and at the end of a career but it feels like he really has something he wants to say with this one. I like the message he is promoting, we are all in this together and we can do this.

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
First look

GFrh9PAWsAAF58e

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks