What's new

McDonalds getting sued.... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Now, even though I'm a McD's Patron, this is a bit rough. Apparently, 8 kids in New York are sueing McDonalds for making them fat with addicting foods. Sounds like something the parents put them up to, even if one poor kid is 400 pounds.
This kid eats McD's every day, and usually has, IIRC, one big mac, one shake, and one Super Sized fries a day.
Dear God, I like the food there, but even I couldn't put up with that every day. During my younger years, going to a FF reasturaunt like that was something special. We usually only went when we got a good report card, or it was a holiday and everyone went as a group.
As I got older, I stepped it up to once a month, and as I got my liscence, it seemed to go up once a week. It's pretty much like that now, but even then, if I have McDonalds, or Burger King, it's all I eat for the remainder of the day. Breakfeast in the morning, Fast Food for the afternoon.
I've also worked up a decent exercise ritual by riding my bike for an hour plus from April to November to work it all off, or a dozen sit ups during the winter every hour or two.
In this case, I guess you can't really blame the resturaunt and it's food, but it's a good get rich quick scheme :).

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
don't you know, ronald snuck into their bedrooms at night and forcefed them big macs with a gun pointed at their heads.

unscrupulous lawyers will sue anyone for anything if they think they can get something out of it.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
The sole responsibility of any child's health rides on the parents, so they are the idiots here.

Like you, Micky D's was a TREAT we did once in a while when I was young. My mother knew better. Hell, back then they didn't even post their Nutritional info. as far as I know.

What ever happened with that other fast food lawsuit?

Mike D.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's the lawyers' fault that their /clients/ want to sue?
You got it. They advised their clients that they had a case and are proceeding with them, rather than telling those people to get bent. They're wasting the legal system's time and the taxpayer's money on carrying out silly, frivolous lawsuits that defy all logic and common sense. They are not any more exempt from the duty to display personal responsibility, integrity and ethics than the people that hire them are.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it's the lawyers' fault that their /clients/ want to sue?
Yes. The lawyers don't have to take the case. They just know the justice system is so ____ed up that they can get a piece of the settlement on top of their usual fees. The lawyers aren't the only ones to blame. Obviously the retards who first came up with this claim need to be smacked, but the lawyers could just reject the case.

Crap like this makes me wish I was a judge. Then again, I don't think we'd have enough jail cells to hold all the people I'd hold in contempt for wasting the court's time.

I think I should sue Microsoft for their "insipid, toxic kind of" intent behind the Xbox. It started out with casual use, but now I have an addiction. I can't control my urges to keep playing games. Consequently I'm not sleeping, my eating habits have changed, my wrist joints are stressed from repeated button mashing, and I get headaches from staring at the screen for so long. I'm even missing work in order to fulfill my addiction. Microsoft is to blame for this because they didn't put a warning label on the Xbox.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Its the end of personal responsability. God forbid we be forced to realize something is our own fault. The food is fuckin fattening. If you eat you get fat. What the hell is wrong with people :angry:

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Last I checked, it is the parents responsibility to take care of their children. If they are too young to work, then their parents were prociding the cash for them to buy the food. If they are old enough to provide for themselves, then they deserve it and worse... You'd think around the "mere" 300 lb mark the kid or his parents would think , "Yes, little Johnny has really let himself go" and do something about it....

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Thanks Daren. I really do get tired of the lack of personal responsibility. When I was young I was exptected to take a certain level of responsibility for my actions. I have begun to discover that even that level is far more than most adults in the general population are inclined to take. This is not a tabaco case where the companies were adding additional amounts of a known addictive chemical. Hamburgers are NOT addictive. Obviosly these people exercise no will power as well.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
As an owner of Philip Morris stock (but a non-smoker) I applaud this case. I think it will be bounced out of court and will hopefully send a message to all lawyers thinking about suing companies that sell legal products.

The crazy thing about this case is that apparently the plaintiffs ate nothing but McDonald's for years--every single meal. I can say with certainty that if someone ate nothing but broccoli, spinach, and tofu for years, their bodies would be in horrible shape. Does that mean broccoli and spinach are bad for you? Of course not.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I wish we could sue idiots who sue the courts for wasting tax payer money. EIther that, or every case that gets thrown out as frivolous should involve a fairly heavy fine...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I would agree parents should be taking responsibility for their children's health, until there is legislation that counters this kind of suit, they will continue. There is a danger though of excepting manufacturers of liability for the effects of using their products, and McDonalds has done everything in its power to entice people to consume their product, just as the tobacco industry did, with no warnings of the possible side effects.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
There is a danger though of excepting manufacturers of liability for the effects of using their products, and McDonalds has done everything in its power to entice people to consume their product, just as the tobacco industry did, with no warnings of the possible side effects.
I think just about everything we can consume has some potential side effect. And even if there are warnings, would they make a significant difference in people's behavior? The negative side effects of tobacco have been rammed down the public's throat for decades now, yet smoking seems to still be quite popular. Same goes for alcohol, fatty foods, etc. And conversely, the benefits of exercise have been extolled forever, yet fewer and fewer people get enough.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
just as the tobacco industry did, with no warnings of the possible side effects.
Give me an F'ing break. The common sense warning applies here. Inhaling smoke is bad, common sense, every smoker I'm sure coughed when he/she took that first drag, warning enough. "Let's see, filling my lungs with smoke, na, there won't be any side effects". How F'ing stupid are people?
Take responsibility for your own actions people!
As for McD's, the parents are at fault 100%.
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How F'ing stupid are people?
Well, considering that there are products which are banned for being unsafe, and the proliferation of advertising aimed at getting people to smoke or consume McDonalds, common sense isn't a scapegoat. If the product were that unsafe, common sense would dictate that it would be banned by the government, no? Aren't they there to protect us?

That cigarettes are actually bad for you is only something that has recently been advertised (ie since the 1980s), for decades they were touted as a harmless pleasure, pushed by trendsetters as the thing to do, and that still applies to a certain extent today. It is easy for those who have either taken an interest in their personal health or have been taught about the effects of their diet to say things are common sense, but the majority of people don't know these things, or if they do can't corelate a fatty hamburger with an unhealthy lifestyle, after all it also has lettuce (vegetables), cheese (dairy), and beef (meat), which in theory are making up 3 essential food groups. As for being addictive, I would bet that McD's laces its food with substances known to enhance their desireability - just what is "special sauce" anyway?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I would really love to push a bit of common sense back into society.

Person suing McDs:
"I weight 400lbs because I ate McDonalds every day and I now want $200,000,000 in compensation!"

Judge:
"It seems to me that you're a fat bloater by choice. Eat less and start exercising. Case dismissed!

Stefan A

Second Unit
People sue McDonalds because it made them fat. What if McD's decided not to serve fat people? Then they would get sued for discrimination. It's a no win situation and I hope these people get their ass kicked in court.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Jeff Ulmer,

..common sense would dictate that it would be banned by the government, no? Aren't they there to protect us?
I can only answer that with a resounding NOOOOOOO!

Regarding this thread topic, has it been mentioned how old these kids are? IMO, if they are 13yrs old or older it is NOT the parents fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks