McDonalds getting sued....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 21, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Now, even though I'm a McD's Patron, this is a bit rough. Apparently, 8 kids in New York are sueing McDonalds for making them fat with addicting foods. Sounds like something the parents put them up to, even if one poor kid is 400 pounds.
    This kid eats McD's every day, and usually has, IIRC, one big mac, one shake, and one Super Sized fries a day.
    Dear God, I like the food there, but even I couldn't put up with that every day. During my younger years, going to a FF reasturaunt like that was something special. We usually only went when we got a good report card, or it was a holiday and everyone went as a group.
    As I got older, I stepped it up to once a month, and as I got my liscence, it seemed to go up once a week. It's pretty much like that now, but even then, if I have McDonalds, or Burger King, it's all I eat for the remainder of the day. Breakfeast in the morning, Fast Food for the afternoon.
    I've also worked up a decent exercise ritual by riding my bike for an hour plus from April to November to work it all off, or a dozen sit ups during the winter every hour or two.
    In this case, I guess you can't really blame the resturaunt and it's food, but it's a good get rich quick scheme [​IMG].

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

don't you know, ronald snuck into their bedrooms at night and forcefed them big macs with a gun pointed at their heads.

unscrupulous lawyers will sue anyone for anything if they think they can get something out of it.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

The sole responsibility of any child's health rides on the parents, so they are the idiots here.

Like you, Micky D's was a TREAT we did once in a while when I was young. My mother knew better. Hell, back then they didn't even post their Nutritional info. as far as I know.

What ever happened with that other fast food lawsuit?

Mike D.

5. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

6. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Its the end of personal responsability. God forbid we be forced to realize something is our own fault. The food is fuckin fattening. If you eat you get fat. What the hell is wrong with people [​IMG]

8. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Charles, your sig quote is so apropos. [​IMG]

9. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Last I checked, it is the parents responsibility to take care of their children. If they are too young to work, then their parents were prociding the cash for them to buy the food. If they are old enough to provide for themselves, then they deserve it and worse... You'd think around the "mere" 300 lb mark the kid or his parents would think , "Yes, little Johnny has really let himself go" and do something about it....

10. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks Daren. I really do get tired of the lack of personal responsibility. When I was young I was exptected to take a certain level of responsibility for my actions. I have begun to discover that even that level is far more than most adults in the general population are inclined to take. This is not a tabaco case where the companies were adding additional amounts of a known addictive chemical. Hamburgers are NOT addictive. Obviosly these people exercise no will power as well.

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

As an owner of Philip Morris stock (but a non-smoker) I applaud this case. I think it will be bounced out of court and will hopefully send a message to all lawyers thinking about suing companies that sell legal products.

The crazy thing about this case is that apparently the plaintiffs ate nothing but McDonald's for years--every single meal. I can say with certainty that if someone ate nothing but broccoli, spinach, and tofu for years, their bodies would be in horrible shape. Does that mean broccoli and spinach are bad for you? Of course not.

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I wish we could sue idiots who sue the courts for wasting tax payer money. EIther that, or every case that gets thrown out as frivolous should involve a fairly heavy fine...

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

While I would agree parents should be taking responsibility for their children's health, until there is legislation that counters this kind of suit, they will continue. There is a danger though of excepting manufacturers of liability for the effects of using their products, and McDonalds has done everything in its power to entice people to consume their product, just as the tobacco industry did, with no warnings of the possible side effects.

14. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

17. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I would really love to push a bit of common sense back into society.

Person suing McDs:
    "I weight 400lbs because I ate McDonalds every day and I now want $200,000,000 in compensation!"

Judge:
    "It seems to me that you're a fat bloater by choice. Eat less and start exercising. Case dismissed!

18. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

People sue McDonalds because it made them fat. What if McD's decided not to serve fat people? Then they would get sued for discrimination. It's a no win situation and I hope these people get their ass kicked in court.

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Jeff Ulmer,

20. Charles J P

CJ Paul