What's new

Max stuffing ported encloser? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
My understanding is 1lb stuffing per cubic ft. Can lead driver to belive it sees a larger volume. I belive from some acutual testing done that I read somewhere which escapes now, that at 1lb polyfill in a (sealed design) can equate to an abverage of 20 to 30 percent gin in what the driver sees for cabnit vol.
But, as cabnit size increases, gain from stuffig begings to decress. After 3 to 4 cubic-ft in sealed cabnits the gain per pound is a little as 5to7 percent.
Please correct me if this info is somewhere flawed!!!
My question is, in a ported 3.4 cubic ft cabnit,(volume is less driver, ports, and amp).
========
Could a gain of 30 percent be achieved as long as the stuffing dose not interfear with ports, driver, and amp? Or would a 15 to 20 percent gain be more likley?
========
Im sure this is a tuff call without proper measureing tools.
Additionally will this much stuffing cause other problems?
Looking at 3 to 3.5 lbs stuffing. 100% stuffed for sure. But it's ported and this is the concern, as I've never expermented with this.
Anyone have input on this, as it would be apreciated.
Thanxs
Geoff

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
might want to look at this article by Tom Nousaine. This should tell you what you need to know:
Link Removed
John

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks John
This was the same piece I read and havent been able to locate. (bummer when you save stuff and cant find it...!
Yes very good info....
Thanks again
Geoff

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Just how do you calculate this? I have a 4.37 cubic foot (net) enclosure, I have the eggcrate foam as well as a smaller amount of the smooth foam. I always wanted to know how much you should stuff it. I prefer not to stuff it too little or too much, only to have to take it apart.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Nell,
Read the link John posted, it's the most clearly writen piece dealing with what stuffing an encloser can do!
If you don't understand it after re-reading the article two or three times, I just dont know what to tell you.
--------
What are you trying to acomplish with stuffing your encloser?
--------
Unless your trying to fool the driver into thinking, and then operating as if it where in a larger one, most ported designs dont require stuffing. When the encloser is the proper size allready for your driver and tuneing, some will put poly fill, foam, egg crate, fiberglass insulation, ect on the side walls. More often tho, they will put it on the oposeing end that the driver is mounted in an SONO tube design to help control possible back wave problems and for damping purposes.
Dynamate, roof felt, along with undercoating car body spray in the can. All this is usually not nesessary, though some do use it to aid in added cabnit resonence (sp) control.
The article John posted is dealing strickly with the effects of poly fill and it's ability to fool a driver thats in a cabnit that is to small for it and the gains that can be obtained when useing poly fill properly. Tom N, who many call the god of subwoofers wrote it, and the data helps make it clear what can be obtained useing this stuff.
I dont know if this helps answer any type of questions you might have, but I tried the best I could. Others may expand on this subject.
If you could post what exactlly your trying to acomplish with stuffing your cabnit, tube or what ever it is, we might be able to help.
---------
I am bit confused as to what it is your asking, please post smething a bit more specific...
---------
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks