What's new

Dayton 12" DVC - Which T/S do you trust? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
A HT buddy and I are planning to build some sonosubs. I'll be cannibalizing my sealed DVC sub for the driver and amp.

For a long time I've pondered the differences between the Manufacturer's T/S parameters and the Dumax results provided on the PE website. Specifically the manufacturer lists a Vas value (4.25 cu ft) that's 25% larger than the Dumax measurement (3.4 cu ft). Which do you use and why?

My impression is that when building sealed subs people tend to go with the smaller Vas as it allows a smaller box size (typically 1.1 - 1.3 cu ft stuffed). But when building vented subs they tend to use the larger Vas since it allows a larger box size and easier porting.

So far I've just averaged the T/S specs and gone with that. The current plan is 90 liter enclosure with a full-length 4 inch flared port (18 inches long). That should put tuning somewhere around 22-23Hz. Any opinions?

My first instinct was to mimic my SVS 25-31PC sub's alignment. But it got a little confusing when I realized that the PC has to be under 80 liters net and uses 4 inch flared port that's only 14 inches long. Hardly stuffed at all, I can't see how they get 25Hz tuning. That port should be at least 17 inches long.

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
This isn't much help, but I just use the PE published specs. I figure if that's the 'design' numbers, units are going to vary one way or the other. I don't see any advantage to using the numbers from one sample (Dumax). It'd be nice to have a Woofer Tester to get the exact specs for our woofers, but oh well.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Thanks Baldemar. That's a very good point and one that I should have considered.

My experience with the sealed sub seems to indicate that the Vas is a little larger than the Dumax numbers. It just rolls off a little higher than I'd hoped. Still very decent, especially compared to what $250 will buy at local electronics stores, but wanting a little more extension.

And the nice thing is I think my design will work better with the larger Vas from the published specs. With the Dumax specs I get a little bit of a hump around tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks