What's new

Massive low frequency cancelation (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
There's a HUGE null in the middle of my room, right where my listening position is. Now, I was using 2 speakers and no sub, so I'm assuming that the speakers were canceling themselves out. Furthermore, it wasn't just on the horrizontal plane, but also on the verticle plane. When I sit down, the bass comming from the speakers is not nearly as loud as when I stand up, the difference is barely 1 foot. So, I'm going to get a sub (parts express DVC 12 in a 2.0 cubic foot box) when I order a pair of HE10.1s. I found the best place for the sub (by moving one speaker, while the other was disconnected, to the center of the room and walking around to see where I get the loudest bass). Would I still have the cancelation problem with the sub? My room is about 14X11X7. Xover would be about 80 hz.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
The center of a room (as far as height and width) with parallel walls and no openings will have a NULL region for certain bass frequencies no matter what you do :frowning:. We can't change the laws of physics. Now, varying walls construction, varying wall/ceiling geometry, windows, door and other openings will tend to reduce this null.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
I can open the windows when it isn't raining/snowing or too cold. I also have a lot of funiture. 2 desks, a bed, a dresser, a night table and some shelves. The largest desk is in a corner right next to the bed and the night table. Seems the best place for sub. I'll try it there and see what happens.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
The programs are just telling me what I thought the problem was. I guess I'll just have to experiment (when I get my sub built) and see what happens.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Glad you got the programs. It's easier to plop in the numbers rather than dragging the speakers around.

Go back to the Harman site and download some of the White papers:
http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default
specifically the Subwoofer one and the 3 part loudspeaker series.

There are some points of interest about Sub placement that you may find helpful.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The sub will provide latitude due to the ability to move it (how much depends on your room layout, preferences, etc). If there are still issues after getting the sub, you may benefit from using an equalizer before the low freq signals get to the sub. In my case, the Behringer Feedback Destroyer that I use works great for my room; might be the best value component in my entire setup.

Doug

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Paul, thanks for the program, I'm playing with it now.

Doug, I'll get a BFD when possible, just need to get some $$$ first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks