What's new

Using dividing wall as deep bass trap / absorber (1 Viewer)

DavidHuguet

Agent
so I'm dividing up a 45 ft long concrete block wall basement into a 29 ft great room/HT area and 16 ft bedroom.

the great room that's ~29 ft long has room nulls along that axis of 19, 38, 57, and 77 hz, all right along where the couch is going to sit...

so I'm wondering how I can build the dividing wall to serve as a massive bass absorber for all those low frequencies...I'm not concerned so much with sound insulation, I'd rather it absorb the bass rather than reflect it...I have seen people saying that drywall/stud walls do that, but no quantitative figures.

Is there some combination of drywall, studs, fiberglass, & caulk that can absorb the deep bass frequencies so the room nulls are cancelled out?

I'm open to whatever construction can do it, or using bass traps in the corners, whatever...I see so much stuff out there that I'm not sure what the best option is...

dave

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Bass, because of it's long wave length, is difficult to absorb.

If you have the headroom, I think you would have better luck, if you built a raised seating platform and used that as your Bass management.

I'm thinking about 8 inches high, the full width of the room, and about 6 to 8 feet long. Think of it as a wall that is lying on the floor. Use 16inch on center studs, pack the voids with fiberglass, deck over with 1 layer of 3/4 inch MDF and 1 layer of 1/2 MDF.

Carpet to please and you should be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks