What's new

Marantz sr4300 or Yamaha RX-V640 (1 Viewer)

Tamer C

Agent
Hi,

I am trying to decide on which of these 2 receivers to buy. From what I read and was told, the Marantz receivers have great power and meet their power specs very well, and that Yamaha focus more on their DSP processing and less on the amplifiers. Any opinions on this?

I will be using either of these with B&W speakers. Thanks!

JamesF

Grip
my friend has a marantz and the levels are good in stereo then in HT setup the volumes drop by 30%,he puts the volume up to about 65-70 % on HT,just to get good listening levels,i'd never have to put my yami up that high, the yamaha's are very good if anything sound louder than their wattage

Lee M T

Second Unit
I don't believe you'll have a power issue with either of these receivers. I know, at least, with my Yamaha the power seems to come in at a hefty amount. My previous Pioneerwas rated at 150 x 2 (in stereo obviously) and my Yammie is rated at 85 x 2 (or 6) and it obliterates the Pioneer in power, volume, clarity, etc.

I think the real question is what do you need to hook up now and what may you hook up in the future? The Yammie will better serve you in the future for sure, and possibly even now. The Yammie has many more S-Video inputs/outputs, 2 componenet video ins and 1 out, and some other stuff too probably. I'm trying to picture the back of the Marantz in my head, kind of hard.

I personally think he Yammaha is the better option for now and in the future. Now if we're talking the 640 vs. the 7300 or something, well, then it's a different story.

I have the RX-V640, by the way, if you have any questions...I'm here.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for the sheer power and precision of Yamaha from a please owner here.

Though I've heard good things about Marantz too, I'll give my :emoji_thumbsup: for Yamaha...you'll be very pleased.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
The Marantz doesn't seem to have many input, output options. I'd picked the Yamaha just for all the extra connectors and will probably last you longer. They both should sound good. I've never heard a Marantz receiver before, but the Yahama does sound good.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
If you want a tin can sounding receiver, go for yamaha. If you want a warm, musically rich sound, pick the marantz!

Not to mention the pairing of B&W (IMO bright sounding) speakers with a bright sounding receiver and I think your ears will be in a lot of pain after only a few minutes of listening. Really there is no contest there.

If I was you I would skip Yamaha and check out receivers from Pioneer (VSX-45tx at $750 now shipped is a steal!), Denon (Always on top of the list for theater and music), and Marantz (check out www.ac4l.com for great B market deals. You can get a 6300 at $399 for probably less than that 4300 will run you retail.).

Tamer C

Agent
Thanks for the replies.

I realize the Yamaha has many more connectors for optical and video (and component which this model marantz does not). However, none of my video is going through the receiver so I don't really care about that.

I am pairing the receiver I get with B&W 600 series speakers. The B&W dealer is recommending the Marantz, and says the speakers sound much better with it than the Yamaha. He even mentioned to bring in a Yamaha receiver and compare. I trust the salesman and from what he has told me seems to be very knowledgable. I also wanted to see what other opinions were.

If I buy a 4300 or 5300 from the dealer I have the option of returning/exchanging it if I am not pleased.

Robert Ma, not sure about ac4l.com since they are all refurb units. Thanks for the info.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Just figured I would let you know about it. I have purchased a Marantz DVD player and my MM-9000 amp came from them. No Problems. The warranty is less (1 year opposed to 3 I think) but it is covered with Marantz.
They also allow you to return it to them if you are not satisfied as long as you pay the shipping. Many of their items have free shipping to you also.

Many others here have had good expieriences with them but I can understand why you would not want refurbished. Refurbed doesn't bother me one bit since if I find something wrong, I send it back :)

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Ive never been very fond of Yamaha receivers, Ive heard them paired with different speakers but never did like the sound. I think its more sutiable to compare Marantz, HK and Denon. I got a 6200 for $399 from accessories4less, arrived in new condition with no cosmetic blemishes and works just like new. Like Robert Ma, I have no issues with refurbished as long as I am able to return it if I dont like it and it comes with a warranty . I have it setup in a 12 x 10 room and I can understand the comments people have perceiving it as lacking power. I bought a Onkyo Sr500 before the 6200 rated at 65watts for kicks as it was such a steal at $150 and for some reason compared to the Marantz, I still have the volume at about 70% as I did with the Onkyo to watch a movie loud. IMO I dont think the Marantz is lacking power as with any other receiver at this price range and build quality, to me it seems to be that the sound is just so transparent or maybe even neutral that some people might not be used to as they are with other more dynamic receivers (Ive also heard the Onkyo SR800 at my friends place and the Marantz comes out on top and provides more than adequate volume levels). I sometimes listen to music at insane volumes in stereo and that is why I went two notches up from the SR4x00 to a SR6x00.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If I'm not mistaken, that's a mismatch in terms of whether the two are really equivalent, the Marantz SR4300 should be compared to the Yamaha 440, whereas the Yammie 640 is probably equivalent to the 5300 or 6300.

Again, AFAIK, Yammies have more "punch" and "oomph", and are better at driving hard-to-drive speakers, whereas Marantzs are "more musical". Yammies have more DSPs, if that tickles your fancy.

(For the record, I have a Marantz, and am perfectly happy with it. But YMMV.)

Milt

Grip
I have a Marantz SR8000 that I bought from AC4Less 06/02, haven't had any problems, sounds great for home theatre and even better when listening to jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks