What's new

Marantz SR-4200 and hum - anyone? (1 Viewer)

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Marantz SR4200 and am very impressed with it, as my first excursion into the home cinema experience. Lovely sound, acceptable looks, good features.

However, the unit itself suffers from a very slight transformer hum, which is really only audible with the unit powered up with no input or when muted. It does not occur when in standby, and does not make it through to the speaker outputs.

Does anyone else's SR4200 suffer from this? When replying, please indicate whether you have 50Hz (like me) or 60Hz mains supply.

Please don't take this as a negative experience, I'd still choose the Marantz if I had to make the decision again. I'm just curious if it is inherent in the model or a minor flaw in mine.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Please report some more info: you mean a hum you can hear from your main speakers starting at what volume, 0db's, +5db's or what? Do you hear this at listening levels?
I tell you so because many Marantz units (like mine :frowning: ) suffer from this, although I don't know if it is the unit itself or the connection to other equipment. What happens to the humm if you disconnect everything (execp the main speakers)? In my case the hum disappears, and I can only hear a backgrounfd hiss (also not very nice...)

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
I gave all that information in my first post:

* Caused by main transformer, I believe
* Physical vibration
* Not from speakers
* Only when powered up (not standby)

It is not a hum from poor connections. Incidentally, my Marantz is very quiet electrically, with a barely audible hiss on full volume with no audio input (CD player on but stopped, for example), slightly louder on analogue than digital inputs.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if that's so then I think there may be a problem with your unit. I had a 4200 before my 6200 and there was nothing like that... I'm not an expert, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks