What's new

Marantz 8300 = Pioneer 47a (somewhat) (1 Viewer)

Rob_b

Agent
I just downloaded the Manuals for both DVD players.

Did a quick compare.

Both manuals have the same number of pages!! All setup screens are almost the same.(8300 is missing some options).
Marantz doesn't list SVCD as a disc option.

What does this mean??? Good or Bad.

I can't wait to read a comparison on these two!!!

Hope the insides are different!!! The cost sure is.

Marantz 8300 ($2000)
Pioneer 47a ($999)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Marantz is based on the 47a.
After reading all the reviews on the 47a, I find it hard to believe that Marantz can really offer $800 more value. (The list of the 47a is $1200, unless they've dropped it recently.)
Plus, the 47a weighs 11 lbs, and the Marantz only weighs 3 lbs more.
Plus, Pioneer has the new 47ai coming out; I don't even know if the Marantz includes the new interface for the $800 more?
Would be nice if they get rid of the chroma bug though... :) And I personally could do without the Legato Pro stuff.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
In this AVS Forum Thread, MM629 claims he is reviewing the Marantz for DVD etc. and strongly implies that the audio is a winner, without outright saying it (yet). He also says that the audio section is revamped relative to the Pioneer.
Doug

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this means anything either, but my local dealer says the Marantz rep told him it is NOT based on the 47a. Now that is comming from the salesman, so take it at that.

As far as menus go, what I have noticed on some of the Processors that share the same chipsets, they all have very similar menus. This could also be the case for DVD players.

But most likely they do shave the same transport and body. But that does not mean they are the same. Meridien uses a Toshiba (I think toshiba) transport, but which one would you rather own? From what I have read the DAC's are one of the major things Marantz upgraded.

Also, I believe the list prices of the units are 1000 and 1500. (Not the list prices that the manufaturer shows, but the prices that the stores start out at)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks