What's new

Make me better at Moto GP online (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Title says it all.

I've only been playing it since Friday and I pretty much suck. Let me start out by saying I'm generally not a racing game guy. Since this one came with the beta kit and since bike races bring back fond memories (used to work volunteer corner medical staff at races) I thought I'd give it a shot.

I like the game, but am not good at it. I understand the concept of following the line and stuff. I think my problem might be braking at the wrong time, braking to much or not enough.

Any basic driving tips to get me better? I'll post my current best times below.

Jerez - 1:59.60
Mugello - 2:11.75
Sachsenring - 1:44.05

My overall ranking is in the mid 14,000's. I'm not sure how many people there are, but that seems bad to me.

On another note. Anyone have access to any high rez art for MotoGP, Whacked and Live? I was going to work on a DVD case cover for the Live disc and thought I'd ask before I start scanning and stuff.

TIA!

Jason Price

Second Unit
By no means am I great at MotoGP, but I'm starting to get the hang of it after a couple of days. The biggest thing that helped me was using the right analog stick for acceleration/braking, rather than the buttons. I have a lot more speed control this way, and have had a lot more success with this method.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Oh I should mention I use the left joystick for steering and the buttons for acceleration/braking.

Jason, I'll give it a try again. When I tried it before it just didn't "feel" right, but I didn't spend any time with it either.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Here are some times to shoot for, although these were done with custom bikes (full points):

Suzuka 1:55.16
Jerez 1:34.09
Le Mans 1:26.00
Mugello 1:39.57
Assen 1:57.09
Donington 1:27.18
Sachsenring 1:13.55
Brno 1:48.39
Valencia 1:27.44
Phillip Island 1:23.26

Racing tips: braking and timing are the two most important things. Brake before each turn (while you're still going straight), then approach the turn from the outside and bank in heavily. When you are halfway (or sometimes, fullway) to the APEX of the turn, gas it. Hitting the gas earlier gives you an advantage in exit speed, but only if you can keep the bike on the track.

Other tips: use the rear brake for heavy straight-line braking to reduce speed. Use the front brake to correct any mistakes you make in your braking as you go through a turn, because the front brake is much softer and will help cut a shorter line through a turn (the rear brake, when applied in a turn, usually pushes your bike towards the outside edge...bad)

On tracks with consecutive turns (Suzuka is one great example), timing is very important. Leaning in for an upcoming turn is usually done at the apex of the preceding turn.

One thing I would suggest you do is go rent the game (if you don't have the full version), create a rider, and spend several hours getting all the points (getting golds on all the training exercises, and getting 1st on all the GP Champ. races in Rookie mode). Distribute the points in this fashion: 30 each to Braking, Acceleration, and Cornering; 20 to Top Speed. That way, when you race online, you can only blame yourself and not the bike.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
practice,practice,practice.and what masood said.and learning the lines is probably number1.
almost everyones' custom bike is 30/20/30/30.the 20 being for brakes.
and regarding placing in the 14000s,have you raced the other tracks?if not race them and you will jump up in the rankings.and yes they count towards your overall rank even if you race them as a ghost.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is a bug in the 'online build' of Moto GP that causes the buttons (not triggers) to work digital-only, no analog.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
There is a bug in the 'online build' of Moto GP that causes the buttons (not triggers) to work digital-only, no analog.
Considering the "online build" is a beta as is all the software that was shipped with the beta kit. (Microsoft will be sending out final version of the Live CD to all beta testers by the 12th-15th) You may see a fix to this issue on the final Live CD.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm not even sure about the exact nature of the bug...it sounds like there are trigger issues as well.
Here are some quotes, not all from the same person:
What can I say? It is my fault. And even more annoyingly I'm the only person here who races with the triggers on accel/brake and I didn't notice it early enough to fix it (I had far too much confidence in that bit of code). The bit of code that makes digital controls override analog controls (so if you pressed A at the same time as pushing the stick forward the 'A' takes precedance) was kicking in and overriding the triggers as well because in some bits of code they behave like digital controls (so you can map gear changing to a trigger) and in others they're meant to act like analog ones. The front/rear brake work correctly as far as I'm aware.
We're only human, and sometimes we make mistakes. We try our best not to, but it is impossible to get everything right all of the time (or at least I've yet to manage that myself :)
What can I say? We screwed up, and missed a couple of bugs.
That said, I think we got a lot more things right than the couple of minor things we got wrong, and overall the game is still good enough that a lot of people are having a lot of fun with it, so it isn't all that bad...
Of course it it would be better to be perfect, but remember that this is just a free demo, which we had to do very quickly and which THQ aren't getting any money for!
If you're not so bothered about the acceleration, try mapping accel to right trigger and front brake to the left trigger. This won't work so well in sim modes, but with 0% handling sim you'll get almost as much braking effect from just using the front brake as you would using the combined brake -- and it will be analog. Combined with mapping rear brake to B or something like that, you might find this more acceptable.
Once again, as developers we're really sorry about this bug -- it is a bug, unfortunately not spotted because only one of us actually uses the triggers to accelerate and brake. If we'd noticed it we would have fixed it, it's a silly bug, but when you redesign bits of code bugs do creep in. To some extent it's the price paid for now having fully customisable controls, which was a big feature request from the last game. Some people will be really happy now because of that, and unfortunately others like yourself will be unhappy because of the new bug. Hopefully you can find a way to play without the bug bothering you too much.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The problem seems to be with the trigger buttons on the Xbox. On the retail version of the game the triggers act as analog but on the XBL version of the game they are digital. I didn't read anything there about the face buttons though, just the triggers it seems are the problem. Seems the best solution is to use the right analog stick as the gas/brake. That could take some getting used to but it shouldn't be too difficult with some practice.

Its unfortunate they didn't catch the bug in time but its not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game online.(I've had a blast playing MotoGP online up till now and I hadn't even noticed the bug). Especially considering that its a free demo which allows you to use all the open tracks you have along with your customized bikes. Besides that its for a game that I never thought would have online compatibility so I can't complain too much.(As long as Climax doesnt let it happen again in the sequel,then we are going to have some issues....)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I've been racing 100% sims a lot lately and I turn on the rain every few races to keep things challenging. I've found that in the rain (with sims turned up) I can't accelerate in 6th gear. In fact, I usually end up losing speed. I can get up to red-line in 5th gear, but as soon as I shift, my rear tire spins out and I lose traction. Even leaning back doesn't help. What am I doing wrong? I would honestly think I would be more likely to spin out in a lower gear because of the higher torque.

Also, just a question of preference, how do you have your controls set up? I'm specifically asking those of you with just the demo (without the analog trigger control). Currently, I'm using the triggers to shift gears, the left analog for steering/leaning, the right analog for gas/brake, and then I have Y bound to the front brake. I find that I never use the front brake, though, because it's so inconvenient to take my right thumb off the gas to reach for the Y button. I think I could shave a few seconds off if I had a better configuration to allow me to use the front brake in sharp corners, but I can't think of a better way to bind my controls.

TimE

Auditioning
Regarding the bugs mentioned above: there is an online "patch" or fix currently in the works. The issue was not whether the game could be patched, but whether Microsoft would authorize Climax to do so. They have, and Climax is currently working on it. The patch will come in a server download in the near future.

Regarding controller setup: I have mine setup as follows and have been able to put up better times this way than any I accomplished offline before.

Right Trigger = accelerator
Left Trigger = both brakes
Left Stick = steer & lean
A button = downshift (I run manual tranny)
X button = upshift
B button = 2nd accelerator for analog start
Y button = front brake
White button = rear view

This is my first post here. I ran into ant1 on MotoGP Live and decided to signup. I don't know how to include the snazzy GameTag icon in my post, but if anyone here wants to look me up on Live, my GamerTag is TIME. Current world rank in MotoGP is #10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks