What's new

Main speaker placement....why so close together? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I'm curious why most pics I've seen of HT setups on this sight have the main speakers so close together. I have heard that the mains need to be at least 3 feet from the side wall, so that could explain some of it. However, if you have the space for it, shouldn't the mains be the same distance from each other as they are from the listening position (forming an equal sided triangle basically)?

Is there a difference is optimum distance between mains for music and movies?

Thanks

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
According to Avia, the mains should be no farther apart than the width of your screen, IOW they should be right up against the TV. Mine are about a 2 ft away on each side.

I understand the reasoning though. For example on the movie A Bug's Life, there is a scene where the ant is using this home made plant cutting device. The device is best described as a wheel barrow with a revolving blade attaced to the front of it. Now, in one scene the ant is using this to cut down a plant. The revolving balde is cutting down a plant as the ant stands behind it. The blade is just off the screen to the left. So the cutting noise on my TV should be coming from about 8" to the left of my TV to be in proportiion with the image. It is less natural the farther away from the tv the speaker is. Since I have seen the whole cutter before, my mind tells me about where the cutting blade noise should be coming from.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I think there is a difference in optimal placement between music and ht, for some. For ht, many want a pan from the left, thought the center, to the right, to spatially appoximate object movement on their screen.
Music, on the other hand (especially 2 channel), benefits more from a wider placement to realise better imaging.
Of course, a lot depends on the room layout, too, and the size of your screen, and the listening position.
I think another issue between the two is main speaker orientation. For music, there could be much more toe in than ht - depending on your musical preferences. Some audiophiles seem to like their mains cross in front of the listener, but that wouldn't likely produce a very good HT effect.
That's why I think that after I win the lottery, I'll get separate mains for HT vs. music (to go with the separate surrounds for dispersion and placement). :)
Martin.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I have my main speakers about 6 ft away from the TV on each side. I think it sounds awesome for both HT and music. Maybe I am just weird :)
Anyway again I think that you need to remember that all the suggestions are just that suggestions. You should take the time to fiddle with your speaker positions and determine what you like. The Dobly site suggests that the 2 front speakers and the listening position should form an equal sided triangle but again let your ears be the judge.
Jeff

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I was afraid that was the case (more space between mains than for ht). I set them in the most optional position if I prefered music or movies, but as luck would have it I'm a 50/50 guy.

What about a happy medium? Place the mains half between where they are and the tv, and have a slight toe in. I guess I'll try it out when I get home.

Am I right in assuming that the ideal for music is a toe in so that the mains are directly facing the listening position and that a "perfect triangle" should be formed between the mains and the listening position?

From earlier responses I am assuming that for movies there should be NO toe in and they should be as close to the tv as possible?

Yup, I need two rooms too - wife would love that idea.

StephenL

Second Unit
Here's another option: Place your speakers at the optimum distance for music and use a projector and screen wide enough to fill the space between the speakers. :)

Marc H

Second Unit
StephenL, that's the ticket! :)
Wider is better. Usually six to eight feet apart depending how far back you sit.

Mike Mace

Stunt Coordinator
Alot of it seems to come down to personal preference....what sounds good to one person may not sound as well to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks