What's new
World Wide Stereo

Magnepan MG-1 Loudspeakers. (1 Viewer)

Fuzzymug18

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel
ATTN: I am dropping the price $50. The sale price is now $150.00 for the pair!

Hello, I introduce you to my MG-1 Magnaplanar Loudspeakers.

I made a big mistake this week by listing my hi-fi setup on ebay. Fortunately, I did not list these speakers and am now giving you all the opportunity to purchase them.

To describe how these speakers were used, my audio setup was as follows.

* Magnaplanar MG-1 Loudspeaker Pair
* Kenwood KD-500 turntable
o Infinity Black Widow Tonearm
o Audio Technica 20SLa cartridge
* SAE P101 Computer Direct-Line Preamplifier
* SAE A201 Dual High Resolution Amplifier
* Sansui TU-417 AM/FM Tuner

Ownership history
: I did several small jobs for the previous owner of the speakers so that I could obtain them for my setup, I knew of the cosmetic damage, but I wanted them anyway. I've cared for these in my bedroom in a pet-free, smoke-free home for about 1 year. I am selling these, and my setup, so that I can purchase an apple computer for my home studio.

The bases are also scuffed around the edges, but can be easily painted.

I am not asking much for these speakers because of the cosmetic damage.

SHIPPING?

Recently, there were four MG-1 magnepans listed on ebay and the seller approximated the shipping for these four to be $150. So I think it would be safe to assume the shipping to be at least $75 across the U.S.

CONCLUSION:

I am asking for $200.00 for the pair NOT including shipping or handling. I am asking for the buyer to provide shipping or pick-up.

If you are interested, you may contact me through this forum or my e-mail address ([email protected]).

MY LOCATION: Elk Grove, CA 95624

PHOTOS ARE COMING SOON

Some info about the maggies (article

Article adopted from canuckaudiomart.com

A Tradition of Innovation and Advanced Technology Have you ever noticed that instruments projected from small boxes sitting on the floor sound like they are coming out of boxes on the floor? This problem can be partially corrected by placing the box speakers on tall speaker stands. However, the sound still seems to be coming out of a box, because that's precisely what it is doing.

The patented Magneplanar principle eliminates these problems by a fundamentally different approach to sound propagation. The Magneplanar projects sound from top to bottom, giving the sound height as well as stereo width and depth. In the concert hall, instruments project in all directions. Instead of projecting sound out of a box, Magneplanars project in all directions, which closely duplicates the original performance.

With your eyes closed the Magneplanar will allow you to "see" the original performance suspended in space. The full height, width and depth of the concert hall can be heard.

Theoretically, loudspeakers should use massless drivers suspended in space with no box, magnet structure, or framework around the drivers. Most conventional box speakers are far from this ideal. The mass of the driver is high and the rear wave is contained within the box or magnet structure. While the frequency response can be smoothed out in a box speaker, the character of the sound is inevitably affected. The music sounds like it is coming out of a box-constricted and unnatural.

The Magneplanar diaphragm comes closer to the ideal driver. The mass is low and the diaphragm is not contained. The sound is permitted to radiate freely into space. With the box removed, Magneplanars sound more like you are there.

Uniform Drive
The power from an ampilifer causes the conventional cone speaker to react as if it had received a sharp blow at the voice coil. Since the outer portions of the cone cannot respond instantly, the cone will flex. The resulting cone breakup gives music a "fuzzy", "blurred" quality.

The Magneplanar eliminates cone breakup by driving the Magneplanar diaphragm over its entire area. The force from the amplifer is distributed over the entire diaphragm so that it all moves at the same time. Cone or diaphragm breakup is dramatically reduced and the integrity of the music is preserved.

Mass

The effect of mass on a loudspeaker can be illustrated by the comparison of a balloon and a beach ball. In the case of the balloon a nominal force such as a puff of wind will cause the balloon to accelerate quickly. When the force ceases, the balloon decelerates quickly. The same force will move the beach ball, however, the ball is slower to start and slower to stop. High mass is one of the main causes of sonic degraduation in conventional speakers.

Magneplanars use ultra low mass components. For example, the Magneplanar ribbon element is so thin, that on edge, it is invisible to the naked eye. It is so light that when a piece of it is dropped from a height of 6 feet it takes and average of 5 seconds for it to reach the floor. Conventional speaker designs prohibit such low mass-the force from the driving amplifier would crush conventional speakers made of such light materials. Only by driving the transducer over its entire area can you use materials of such low mass.

728x90

Fuzzymug18

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel
Sorry, My ZIP code is: 95624

I am located in Elk Grove, CA. 10 Miles from central Sacramento.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks