What's new

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
If George Miller had never cast Gibson in Mad Max, Gibson couldn't have gone on to make all those movies.

It's Miller's fault.

Miller must die! KAAAAA--RRRUUNCH

LL

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dying to see thus. Hope to God it's as great as it looks. A bit concerned there are no reviews yet.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Live Stream Q&A with George Miller:

Tino said:
Dying to see thus. Hope to God it's as great as it looks. A bit concerned there are no reviews yet.

The studio review-embargo doesn't lift until 12:01 AM Tuesday, but a couple of sites have already posted their reviews...and they're absolutely ecstatic:

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/article20487258.html

http://thecinemachina.com/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road-review-action-masterpiece-motion-grit-nihilistic-mayhem/

http://www.autos.ca/car-culture/movie-review-mad-max-fury-road/?all=1

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They had an early screening last night in Kansas City at the Alamo. Unadvertised, 1 showing at 7PM. Was SOLD OUT.

This film exceeded every one of my expectations. It isn't perfect, and I expect this to score not super high at Rotten Tomatoes.. there are elements that are wildly over the top, crazy action and at points a touch silly..

BUT..

Charlize Theron is an absolute badass in this. One of the best roles I think she's had, and one of the more powerful female bad-ass roles since Sigourney Weaver in Alien...

What stands out about it though is that it is a film where there are clearly effects, but the best moments seem to be all stunt moments.. with real, honest to goodness stunt people doing some pretty wild things. I've heard the clamor for stunts to get an oscar consideration, and between this film and Furious 7, I'd say they should come up with a category.

Anyway, I'd give this a solid B+/A-

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's currently rockin' a 90% on Metacritic. All the major big-gun critics are singing this film's praises right now.

LL

I think the last time I was this hopeful and excited for a film was in 2008 for The Dark Knight. EVERYONE seems to be jizzing themselves over this movie.

Yet, marketing-wise, it's kind of bonkers that we can live in a world where Transformers 4 is the biggest movie out there, while this is supposedly seen as a hard sell. Apparently, we live in a world where arthouse B-movie explode-o-thons are actually a thing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Midnight Friday.

It even seems to have successfully traversed the identity-politics minefield, thanks to its Vagina Monologue-approved feminist credentials. 2015's first thinkpiece-proof genre flick?

Then again, I think it's still way too early to claim victory on that. In the ocean of social-justice bloggers, rest assured: someone will dislike something. We will definitely be made sure that we know about it....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Brandon Conway said:
There are some showing Thursday night starting around 7pm-8pm.
yeah. Pretty much standard for every major release now.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
mattCR said:
They had an early screening last night in Kansas City at the Alamo. Unadvertised, 1 showing at 7PM. Was SOLD OUT.

What stands out about it though is that it is a film where there are clearly effects, but the best moments seem to be all stunt moments.. with real, honest to goodness stunt people doing some pretty wild things. I've heard the clamor for stunts to get an oscar consideration, and between this film and Furious 7, I'd say they should come up with a category.

Are there that many movies with real stunts anymore? Somehow I doubt they could come up with enough nominees. Maybe an Honorary Oscar occasionally when a film comes along that qualifies. Such a category would have been awesome back in the 1970s in the heyday of Hal Needham.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
As with Dredd, I'm probably gonna get disproportionately pissed off at any dumbass friends or family that I catch with a bootleg copy of this, or watching it on their computer from one of those pirate-sites.

I bitched one of my friends out for all he was worth over a bootleg copy of Dredd once. Some assholes just can't grasp that some of these films need every penny they can get, ESPECIALLY if you want more of them.

"Dude, that was an awesome movie! Are they gonna make a Dredd 2?"

Me: "No....probably not."

"That sucks. Why?"

"BECAUSE ASSHATS LIKE YOU WON'T PAY TO SEE IT IN THE THEATER OR BUY LEGIT COPIES WHEN IT'S RELEASED ON DISC, THAT'S WHY. YOU ARE WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"The creator of the original Mad Max trilogy has whipped up a gargantuan grunge symphony of vehicular mayhem that makes Furious 7 look like Curious George." - Chicago Tribune

"This madly entertaining new action extravaganza energetically kicks more ass, as well as all other parts of the anatomy, than any film ever made by a 70-year-old - and does so far more skillfully than those turned out by most young turks half his age." - The Hollywood Reporter

"A churning orgy of sand and fire that pirouettes with balletic grace." - Vanity Fair

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I tried imagining what must have gone through George Miller's head when he decided to do this. Here is a 70 year old director looking back 32 years at "The Road Warrior" and imagining to himself, "yeah, this film I made is considered one of the great classics of action film making. A blueprint for action films for decades after. But, we filmed it on a shitty budget with nothing NEAR the tech they have today. I can do this ever BETTER!"

So, he grabs his 72 year old friend John Seale to DP, and together they make what will now last for decades to come as the quintessential action film. A cacophonous blast of death, desperation, and destruction that is more beautiful looking than nearly any film I can remember in recent history.

How is that fucking possible? And, who cares? WE get to revel in it, and for that, I am ecstatic.

Is this a perfect movie? No. There are some character and "story" hitches that I thought could be better/deeper. And, I put "story" in quotes because Miller doesn't have much more story here than he did in "The Road Warrior"...and, that's ok. There is more character depth and theme here than in TRW, and that makes it a richer experience. But, come on...none of it matters unless Miller and Seale can top the outrageous sense of awe and exhilaration that we got from TRW in 1982.

And, boy...do they.

Where else can you find a fucking massive vehicle chase/battle that brings along its own soundtrack in the form of a vehicle built with massive speaker stacks and a flame throwing guitar?! And, I dare say, you have NEVER seen practical action/stunt work like you'll see in this film. EVER. It's amazing.

I don't want to say more until the movie is out...just GO SEE IT! NOW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks