What's new

Lowest price THX certified processor (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Why does every THX thread get crapped upon by the same anti-THX trolls? This thread specifically asked what was the cheapest THX certified processor. Nowhere did it ask about the merits of THX, or anything else along those lines. There are numerous threads already started on this matter. Trolls be gone!!!!!

David,

I picked up a Pioneer VSX-35TX THX Select certified receiver about six months ago or so and have been very satisified with its performance. I actually picked this up brand new for less then $350 dollars (from Ubid when they still had some decent electronics and deals). I have been very impressed with its duties as a pre/pro coupled with a Parasound HCA 855a. Currently it looks like Kenwood is offering the lowest priced THX certified models. Have you thought about going used? You should be able to pick up a decent receiver or processor at a good price if you are not intereseted in all of the latest processing modes.

J

Its hard not to gripe about the certifacation.

Look at some of the products that are certified out there.

A fine example is the new Klipsch promedia computer THX certified surround systems.

3" mains all around w/ a 6.5" subwoofer spouting "Max Burst Power" of 200 watts

To me thats not worthy of THX certifacation .....

This is the STAR WARS Limited Edition Package

PROMEDIA > STAR WARS™ LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION PROMEDIA™ 2.1

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 31Hz - 20kHz
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 106dB SPL
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Satellites—sealed, Subwoofer—bass reflex
AMPLIFIER: Digital/Linear A/B amplifier; discrete MOSFET output power section
AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Per Satellite: 55 watts/channel @ ≤ 1% THD, 200Hz - 1KHz (Note: all channels driven)
FTC Rated Subwoofer: 50 watts @ ≤ 1% THD, 40 - 100 Hz
Max Burst Power*: 200 watts @ ≤ 1% THD (Note: all channels driven)
*Maximium Burst Power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the speakers under normal operating conditions. While the FTC power rating indicates power available on a continuous, long-term basis, multi-channel systems do not rely on that type of power. Instead, the amplifier is called upon to deliver large, short-term bursts of power to be able to support today’s digital music, games and movie formats. In addition to the required FTC power rating, we have provided the maximum burst output as a better indication of the product’s true performance.
INPUTS: MP3 two-channel soundcard miniplug

OUTPUTS: Headphone
DRIVE COMPONENTS: Satellite: Two-way system using 0.75" (1.9cm) polymer dome tweeter with a MicroTractrix® Horn and one 3" long-throw midBass driver. Subwoofer: Side-firing 6.5" (16.51cm) long-throw driver
TWEETER: 0.75" Poly compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90° x 40° MicroTractrix® Horn
HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 5kHz
WOOFER: 3" Fiber-composite cone
SUBWOOFER: One 6.5" (16.51cm) fiber composite cone
DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): Satellite: 8.5" (21.59cm) x 4.2" (10.67cm) x 5.67" (14.4cm) Subwoofer: 9.5" (24.13cm) x 9.8" (24.9cm) x 10.2" (25.9cm)
WEIGHT: Satellite: 2.1 lbs. (0.95kg) Subwoofer: 16 lbs. (7.26kg)
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Satellites: ABS Subwoofer: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
FINISHES: Metallic Silver
ACCESSORIES: RB-1 Stand, WB-1 Bracket (each sold separately)
VOLTAGE: 110/120 VAC
YEARS BUILT: 2002 -

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
What's with the THX? It's all great and everything, but it doesn't really DO anything useful except look cool.
As some of the others have indicated, there is quite a bit behind the THX certification in addition to the logo on the front panel itself. However, if you're going for "true" THX cerfication, you can't just stop at the receiver. All your other gear should also be certified. Additionally, you'd want to get your gear professionaly installed and set up by a THX cerfied installer. Then, you could brag about your THX system. Just buying the certified receiver alone is not enough - but, it's a start.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I was hooked on THX when John Dahl of THX gave our group a technical explanation of how the Stag Theater in Skywalker Ranch was THX Certified.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
A fine example is the new Klipsch promedia computer THX certified surround systems.
Fine example of what? Surely not a processor which the original topic asked about. THX Multimedia has nothing to do with the original post, or for that matter receiver or pre/pro certification. It is an entirely seperate certification from what the receivers or processors go through. If you have a gripe about THX multimedia start a new thread...otherwise...

Troll be gone!!!!

Now can we get back on topic, I am curious about other's opinions on the lower cost THX certified procssors and receivers.

J

John S Choi

Agent
I have VR-6070 for two weeks and I am using as PRE/PRO only. Its hook up to Aragon stereo pre. amp with Aragon Palladium SE mono block and Aragon 5 channel amp.
The VR-6070 is used for HDTV/Direct TV/DVD/ DVD-A ans SACD only.I use 6 Y adapters for 6-CH in.
The sound I get from Kenwood is real McCoy as good as many processors I had before. I do not like its stereo sound and I do not use this feature. My speakers are all Hale
Concept5 & 3s except center channel. I use Velodyne HGS-12
as sub. I have owned AVP2,Aragon sound stage one, DC-1&2,MC-1,
B&K REF30,AVM20,950,Kenwood VR-???? some top model I bought for $1600.00 last year and H/K AVR-8000 also Sony 9000es pre. I have demoed MC-12 and Krell 7.1.
The main reason I went with 2 system set was I was not happy with 2 channel performance of many processors I had and tried and the new surround format was being introduced too frequently. Since most of processing is done in digital domain I decided to try VR-6070 I saw at BestyBuy because it had 8 preouts and all the surround formats except Logic7. I just finished watching the Super Bowl and the friend who were here last year and this year
noticed big difference in sound in better way.The channel
separation with huge dynamic sound of the game and the movie trailer were making some guest to jump up and to find what happened. I was using DC-2 last year this time
and thanks to advances in surround sound I now know I do not have to spend more to get better processing. I just buy another decent receiver with all the pre outs when new and improved format comes out.

Yogi

Screenwriter
David, just curious as to why you want to upgrade from the 3801 as the preamp. I think the 3801 makes for an excellent preamp that can compete with other separate preamps in its price category. Good processing, soundstaging and separation. Any particular weaknesses in the 3801 that you want to overcome with the new processor.

I understand your crossover reasoning but do you think having a THX processor will make a noticable improvement from where you are right now? Just curious as I have never used a THX processor or receiver in my setup. BTW, I have a 3802 coupled to Proceed and B&K amps that I am very happy with. I have non THX certified Vienna Acoustic speakers all around.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Yogi,
The main reason is I want to build a THX certified setup. The second is that I believe the crossover slope in the 3801 is 2nd order high pass and 2nd order low pass which I believe is a good trade off if using non-THX certified speakers. There is a reason the 3801 is not stamped THX, not just marketing costs, who knows. I feel that the 3801 is a quality piece, but I believe it's DAC's and processing power are only at upper entry level quality, but you won't find better in a lower cost THX reciever either. Also, the 3801's component switching is below HD specs, no 12v triggers, one coaxial input...
I traded up my old HK AVR-80 THX reciever for the Denon a few years ago because I was looking for more features, but it was immediately clear I lost something in the sound quality that day. THX post processing is real and not just smoke & mirrors as some here have indicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks