What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

LOTR... REMASTER for the Fellowship of the Rings EE?? Box Set?? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Each extended cut has gotten better and better on DVD (which is good) but since getting my projector, I was surprised to discover just how filtered the first film looks in comparison to the MUCH clearer/detailed picture of the Two Towers EE and presumably the new Return of the King EE. Makes the image quality of the first film a bit of a disappointment.

It's clear that the DVD mastering folks have been learning more and getting better over at New Line with each film's release...and it would be SO GREAT before HD-DVD if I could get a better-looking version of the first film.

Anybody know of the box-set will just include the "existing" DVD mastering or by chance does anyone know if a newly remastered version of the first film EE might be made available?

-dave

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
new line was never known for re mastering their dvds. i actually don't know any film that was re-released with a new transfer by new line. i hope new line will change this in the future as many films from the early days really need an improvement ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
David,

I have heard nothing about a re-release.
My display certainly isn't the quality of yours (I have a 61" Sony ISF'd interlaced TV), but I agree with you. I watched Fellowship EE the other night and I can definitely see the filtering (as compared to other films)--- less prominent on Two Towers and hopefully even less so on ROTK.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Dave the re-release is the complete extended edition trilogy set which should, to my knowledge, simply repackage all 3 current four-disc extended editions into one big elegant looking box set.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Seven was remastered extensively. So, it's not unprecedented.

But, with HD-DVD on the horizon I can't see any new version of FOTR until then.

Rolando

Screenwriter
So is it official that there will be an EE boxset? I knew there was going to be (and there is) a boxset of the 3 2-disc TE but I thought there was not going to be a boxset of the EEs. And would this boxset collect all 3 giftsets as well? As in all three gifts, the book ends, the Gollum statues etc.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Remember, Seven & Boogie Nights were not only remastered, but got completely new, high profile SEs at the same time. There's no precedent for a "stealth" remaster by New Line.

Peter Jackson has said publicly on numerous occasions that these films will not be revisited until it comes time to do the HD versions. That's going to be post-King Kong for sure, but it could be as early as late 2006, I suppose (not counting on it though).

Bottom line, we're going to have to live with what we've got for a couple more years at least.
The EE boxset is just the three EEs in a slipcase. The gift set extras are not included.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I just wish the box that holds all three EE's could be made availble to us that purchased them separately over the past 2 years.

Kind of like the Jurassic Park deal without the bonus disc...

Steve Blair

Second Unit
The box IS available for purchase for around $3.00 or so :) The offer for this is included with the ROTK EE dvd from what I've read elsewhere so we're all in luck ;)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Wouldn't the big box cover up the spines of the EE sets? I love the "book" look. All 3 will look quite spiffy on my shelf...

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully one side will be open so you can see the individual spines of all three...just like the Indy set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks