What's new

Lord almighty! Is my new Denon broken already????? HELP! (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
They are all long since discontinued. Ebay is your best bet. They also pop up on the hardware forum here. You might look at a local Sharper Image store if you have one. Some have had luck finding them there.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes all of those great top-rated Faroudja-based Panasonic players were discontinued a year or so ago. They are popularly sold on EBAY, I bought a used XP30 on EBAY a few months ago for $250 and its perfect. Its worth it since no new models are available that match the quality of these anywhere under $300. The closest new models are the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($250) and the Denon DVD-910($299) but even they are still a notch below the XP30/XP50 quality - I tried them and returned them and got the used XP30 it beat them all!

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
ok, how much of a difference is there between the xp30 and denon 910.

also, after more looking around, i think i'll have to decide against the xp30 as the only place i seem to find it is on ebay and i don't like to order stuff online. so, if possible, please be as specific as you can in the differences between the denon 910 and the panny xp30, and is the difference really big enough to make that much of a difference?

btw, thanks to everyone for their help.:emoji_thumbsup:

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Denon DVD-910's picture is a little softer due to a rolloff of the high frequency response, the XP30 has a perfect flat response. The XP30 can play SVCDs, the Denon cannot. For me the XP30 was the better choice even though I had to buy one on EBAY, but it turned out fine, so don't worry about that.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
no, what i'm worried about is my credit card number being stolen, the way it already happened to my sister.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

That depends on who you're buying from and how you decide to pay. There are plenty of merchants selling on eBay that accept credit cards directly, without going through Paypal.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
That information is all wrong! I have an XP30 and I have tested it myself - it plays all DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW formats great and both VCD and SVCD with CDR/RW discs. The Denon does not support SVCD at all I tested that too. If you buy from a good rated ebay seller you have a good chance, check the rating. Also EBAY offers protection now for a small $15 fee that I paid for a 15day no-questions-asked return feature. But I didn't need to use it.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
ah well, i bought the 910 today, not on ebay. :D

btw, where can i find this Secrets test for the 910 as well as maybe some reviews on it?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

The key word in your statement is "chance". You're still taking a risk that you wouldn't be taking with a dealer purchase. For discontinued items like the RP82, XP30, etc. however, buying used from someone on eBay, AudiogoN, VideogoN, etc. is your only choice.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
too bad i have no clue as to what "2-2 Cadence, Film Flags" means. otherwise it seems to have done ok. and so far, the picture is spectacular...finally! and it only took me 6 dvd players to get it like that...

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Tom, display a color bar test pattern from an AVIA or VideoEssentials DVD to check for the color flicker problem on the DVD-910. Look at the top and bottom edges of a saturated color bar. If it flickers it has the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks