What's new

Looks like no 3D for Big Hero 6 on Blu, WTF Disney? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I held out and then finally bought the U.K. version of Frozen in 3D. I loved it about as much as Tangled 3D, both of which are greatly diminished in 2D.

I refuse to buy any theatrically-released 3D film on 2D Blu-ray. This unfortunately means a whole spate of Disney releases won't find a place on my shelf.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Signed.

Maybe I'm a snob but I require an OAR of all my home video releases. This is not limited to simply width X height. If it also pops out into the third dimension, then that counts towards OAR.
I can see that for movies filmed in 3-D, but what about those films that are converted after filming is complete then are shown during their theatrical showings in 2-D and 3-D viewings? Some of the films discussed on this forum fall into that category.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I don't mind buying the import, except that I miss out on the DC that comes in handy for the little ones that come over to visit. Having my Disney collection on VUDU is awesome for that. So I have to choose between missing out on the 3D or the DC code. Of course, I will choose the 3D every time. But it sucks to not get it all in one package and have to miss out on one thing or the other (unless you buy both, which I would never do, which the exception of Frozen (sing along version, which I got mainly for the HDx).

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Besides not releasing 3D movies on Blu-ray, Disney's worst offense is that they will not even offer an an official explanation about why they are avoiding 3D discs.

Come on Disney, have some courage and explain yourselves? :unsure:

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Greg_D_R said:
It's a worthwhile question though: Did anyone on this thread want Frozen 3D, and not buy it? I have heard people say that they were refusing to buy it because they didn't like the UK rating symbols on the packaging.
also the digital codes don't work in the US.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I answered this question earlier. I want it on 3D, but did not buy it because I was holding out hope for a U.S. release. My plan now is to purchase the UK version.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Crawford said:
I can see that for movies filmed in 3-D, but what about those films that are converted after filming is complete then are shown during their theatrical showings in 2-D and 3-D viewings? Some of the films discussed on this forum fall into that category.

That's a harder question to answer. My opinion for most films is that whatever the most super premium version of the film released as should count as the OAR presentation.

The most obvious example of a post-conversion 3D title where I think the 3D version should be considered the OAR is "Gravity" - it was shot in 2D but always intended for 3D release, and all of the filmmaking decisions were based on the film being released in 3D. Even if you take a film like "Star Trek Into Darkness" where JJ Abrams isn't a huge fan of 3D, the film was still conceived as being a 3D release, the studio insisted on 3D, and the filmmakers took extra shots of each setup and angle both with and without the actors to allow the postconversion company to do a better job of converting to 3D. So in a case like that, I'd consider 3D to be the OAR. If a film's director doesn't like 3D, that doesn't make the 3D version any less valid for me - it was still released and presented in that way. To use another OAR example for why I consider this to be OAR - in Bob Furmanek's aspect ratio thread and his website, he's pointed out numerous times where the studio (and not the director) mandated that a film be shot in a certain ratio. To me, a studio executive insisting a movie be in 3D these days is really no different from a studio executive in the 1950s insisting that a film be in widescreen. Whether or not it would have been the director's preference to make it that way, that was the way it ended up being made, so that's what counts with me in the end.

Even for a film like the "Clash Of The Titans" remake, probably the most infamous of all 3D post-conversions, which wasn't intended for 3D release when the filmmakers shot it -- it was still released in 3D at the same time as the 2D version. For stuff like the "Wizard Of Oz", "Titanic" and "Top Gun" conversions, which came years after the fact, the 3D version isn't the OAR. (At least in the case of the latter two, it's filmmaker approved.) But when the 3D version is released day-and-date with the 2D version, even if the director didn't shoot in 3D and doesn't like 3D, I still consider that 3D version to be the OAR.

But I can see how an argument can be made for just the opposite for a lot of postconverted titles.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'd go with the version preferred by the film's director at the time of it's release to be it's OAR.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
What REALLY sucks is Disney now locking the region code on the european 3D releases. At least with Tangled we were able to import from the UK but now they are making a conserted effort to cut us out of 3D blu-ray releases. What bad customer service from a company that used to take pride in customer satiafaction. Now it's screw you to Region 1 all because sales aren't up to what some executive feels is profitable on a niche product. My feeling about Disney are at a new low point.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Which one;s are locked -- I hadn't heard of any newer films that weren't Region Free? The last 2 or 3 big releases were Region Free (Maleficent and Frozen).

The only Disney's I'm aware of that are locked are some older titles including some pre-buyout Pixar and even Up3D

is region Free though the 2D is Region B locked.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
SFMike said:
What REALLY sucks is Disney now locking the region code on the european 3D releases. At least with Tangled we were able to import from the UK but now they are making a conserted effort to cut us out of 3D blu-ray releases. What bad customer service from a company that used to take pride in customer satiafaction. Now it's screw you to Region 1 all because sales aren't up to what some executive feels is profitable on a niche product. My feeling about Disney are at a new low point.
Which 3-D Disney titles are you taking about?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Crawford said:
Which 3-D Disney titles are you taking about?

Big Hero 6, Ratatouille, Need For Speed.....this is a new development that looks like it will continue on in future Disney Home Video 3D bluray releases.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
SFMike said:
Big Hero 6, Ratatouille, Need For Speed.....this is a new development that looks like it will continue on in future Disney Home Video 3D bluray releases.
Big Hero 6 doesn't even have a release date yet. There's no way you can know that it will be region-locked.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SFMike said:

Ratatouille is an oddity since it is technically considered a catalog title with an updated release. I think it pre-exists the Disney buyout and

was one of those Pixar locked movies from it's intial release (Bugs Life, Wall-E, and Up 2D I think were the others). I'm sure there is some

reason why even some std Disney's are locked and others aren't -- Dumbo, Pinocchio, and Jungle Book are locked while many other classic

Disney aren't.

Need For Speed isn't distributed by Disney in Europe so it's not really their fault -- Entertainment One owns those rights

All expectations are that BH6 will be Region Free, but there ins't a way to tell until it shows up.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
MikeDE said:
Any word yet on if it is region free from Amazon UK?
They don';t even have a release date yet though it's expected to be this summer.

Region B Australia is March 25
Region B Italy in the frist week of April along with Region C India.

Everyone expects if those are region free then Germany and UK will also be.
Nobody will know until the discs are received -- I'm not even sure they're pressed yet
other tha the Region A Hong Kong release next week

robbiesreels

Agent
Real Name
Bob Hermann
The 3D Maleficent was originally announced as region 2 locked at Amazon UK as a pre-order last year

But was all region when the blu-ray was finally released in The United Kingdom

So hopefully Big Hero 6 will be all region when it's finally released in the U.K

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks