What's new

Looking for HTB for family room. Any thoughts on the many systems out there? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen them from Sony, Kenwood, Denon, Panasonic, Onkyo, etc.. I kinda like the Sony and Onkyo with the DVD and receiver in one.
Can anyone relate their experiences with their HTB. I'd like to stay around $600, but can be persuaded to $800 if it's worth it. The total system price should include the DVD player.
Thanks in advance for any help>
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I'd definitely go for the kenwood, as its really more like a conventional Speaker/Reciever set, which owuld also be easily upgradeable... And it has good power, nice speakers, DPL2 processing....
I read at futureshop.ca that SONYs HTiB has a 10% THD Rating, and only 30w/ch, whereas kenwood has .07% THD and 100w/ch...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Kenwood HTB504 with Panasonic RV-31 dvd player. The Kenwood receiver(VR507) has DD, DTS, DPL2 and Circle Surround.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I currently use a HTB set up as my primary surround system. I have a Sony HT-DDW830. I think it preforms okay, not as good as a exspensive set-up but still okay for the room I have it in. I'd recommend that. I looked at a similar Kenwood set up but I didn't like it how it sounded. Maybe the 504 sounds better though, I don't know. Hope this helps.
Edit: My HTB has DD5.1 and DTS for DVDs. I'd also recommend a Toshiba or Sony DVD player for a DVD player.
------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's
[Edited last by Keith_R on October 29, 2001 at 07:36 PM]

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the peplies, Ill let you know what I decided.
Thanks
------------------
Jake T

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have to second the Kenwood HTB504 with Panny RV-31. That'd be an excellent setup for a small to mid-sized room and would let you slowly upgrade to better speakers in the future if necessary. That's why I don't care for the DVD/Receiver in one combos -- it limits your future upgrade capabilities a bit.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I also am forced (albeit not very reluctantly) to agree. The Panny with the Kenwood is the easiest way to go for HT on a limited budget. The first upgrade will probably be the sub.
wink.gif

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
All very good answers, but I should probably let you know that I am not planning on upgrading this system. I already have the main theater set up in the basement(link above) and the room layout I'm putting this in and the WAF won't permit bigger speakers or lots of components.
That's fine with me because I do most of my watching on the good basement system.
I kind of like this sony setup It is their HT1300D setup.MSRP $700
ht-1300d.gif

Any thoughts on this one? Details Here:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...ht-1300d.shtml
[Edited last by Jake T on October 30, 2001 at 10:42 AM]

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, due to the fact that I need to have a zone B to run my outdoor deck speakers (I forgot about those) I think I'm gonna start with an Onkyo 494 receiver. All the s-vid inputs will handle a DVD, DBS, and VCR better anyhow. Then maybe move my Toshiba SD6200 from downstairs and get one with a better chipset and DVD-A for my main basement theater. I'll build from there slowly depending on finances (I've got to buy a snowmobile).
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
popcorn.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Just a comment & being new to HT. I also considered the 494 until i found out i couldnt set the speaker distance along w/ a few other shortcomings. (puts on flame suit) after doing similar research I am leaning towards the denon avr1602 for about 50-60 dollars more . Just my 2 cents.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Johnson,
Thanks alot for the info. I did not know that you could not set distance. I definately will reconsider and look at the Denon and others.
Thanks again
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The lack of speaker distance/delay settings on the 494 pretty much makes it useless to anyone. From what I understand, it uses the standard Dolby defaults of 0ms center and 5ms surround. BLECH!
The 595 can be had for not too much more, and is an excellent receiver (that DOES allow for speaker distance). Also, the Denon is pretty sweet and would definitely be a better choice than the Onkyo 494.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like it's going to be the 1602.
Thanks again
patriot.gif

------------------
Jake T

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Johnson,
I haven't bought it yet. Probably get it sometime after Christmas. I'll let you know after I get it set up.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds good Johnson. Let me know. I had to put my upstairs HT buying on hold cause I bought a snowmobile instead.
Good Luck with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks