What's new

Looking for good wireless home security cameras (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
lol another camera installer. I agree with justin. in my 6 years of installing I've only done one wireless camera. It was wireless because it had to be moved a lot. I have installed the bosch cameras as well and they are pretty good. I would only add a modulator to the cable tv feed so you can watch the camera's on any tv as well. I also agree with going with a dedicated system not pulling double duty as a home pc/surviellance dvr. I have seen some problems with such systems.

Tim L

Second Unit
more great info- thanks- Justin the price you said (around 3000 is about how much one estitmate was- one was around $5000) why is it so expensive? I mean is the DVR the pros use that much better than say the Q-see version from Coscto that Brian and I talked about? Yes- if you have some model numbers that would be great-I'd like to check it out. Tried out the Lukwerks system this weekend- it hooks up pretty easy- but the image is not so great-and now the more I thik about it- I don't think I want to leave my computer on all day and night for this system to work.

4 channel Multiplexor feeding dedicated monitor (do I need this or can I view from my computer-via hooking up the DVR to computer?)

120VAC/24VDC 4 output XFMR Mounted in central location (attic)-(not sure what this is-can you elabroate?)

I guess the installation will be alot-considering the walls are finished and snaking wires all over the place can add up. Okay I have alot more info to digest now- but I am very happy to hear from some people who actually deal with this stuff-thanks very much.
Tim

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Just a quick note about the "no server" clauses in most ISP contracts. This is usually in place to prevent someone from setting up a common, directly accessible server on a home subscription line such as a Web server for an FTP server. If you want to reach devices connected to your home network, there are two ways to do this, both of which assume you have a router where you can do what's called "port forwarding".

1 - Change the security system's default Web port to something other than port 80, then forward all traffic coming in on that port to the security system. This is NOT a secure method since countless people/bots will most likely find the Web server on that port and attempt to hack it.

2- Set up a VPN server on your home computer, and install the WPN client on an external computer such as a notebook or office computer. Note that port forwarding is still necessary for the VPN server's port. Once you connect to your home network, you can then access the security system's Web page in the same way as if you were at home. Best of all, the VPN connection is ENCRYPTED, meaning no one can see the data flowing through the connection between you home and outside connection.

I use OpenVPN myself, but it's a bit complicated to set up properly. However, it's extremely secure and it's absolutely free. An easier VPN option would be Hamachi, but I've never tried it myself. However, Steve Gibson of GRC seems to like it a lot.

Now let's not start any flame wars about Steve... :)

merryreed

Auditioning
Real Name
merryreed
247 Security Cameras provide A 4-channel DVR ideal for your home or business. In it Digital video recorders come with multiple backup options such as USB, CD-RW, DVD, and through a network to easily retrieve the video. DVR can also be connected to the network for video sequences remotely via Internet.You should try 247Security Cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks