What's new

Looking for an audio splitter for my Aiwa receiver. (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for an audio splitter.

I'm still using an old surround sound system, as my receiver is the Aiwa AV-DV75. I purchased it back in '99, and while it isn't the greatest, it's served me fairly well over the years.

The biggest limitation on it however, is that it can only display Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound from one of the Audio components, and I've got my DVD player hooked up to it. I have recently purchased the HD-DVD ad on for my Xbox 360, and I would love to display the 5.1 sound through that as well...otherwise it's just a waste!

So, is there a reasonably priced audio splitter out there that could take care of my little issue for me? I can't really afford a new receiver at this juncture, so I'm looking for another kind of fix.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ed! I have one optical input on the receiver.

I stopped into Radio Shack today and the guy told me that these splitters halve the power of each signal...is that true? He recommended a switch rather than a splitter, but of course, they didn't have any in stock.

Do most receives have only one optical input, and if so, what does everybody do to get around that?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't know if that's true or not. I'm not familiar with that stuff. I've not had to deal with it so far..............sorry.

MadCat

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted
I'm in a similar situation, although for a different reason. I need to split the audio (toslink optical) coming out of a device into two different audio systems.

I purchased one of these cheap ($10) splitters that everyone seems to sell and it just doesn't work. One side can drive a 3 ft cable but the other side doesn't work at all. Neither side drives the 10 meter Liberty Z500 series cable I purchased ($90) which goes to the 2nd audio system.

So I would guess the guy from Radio Shack was correct, these cheap splitters will half the signal. If you plan on driving a couple of short (1 meter) cables you might be ok with this item (if you get one that works).

I'm looking for other solutions now and have found only two:

1) InDay sells one for about $60 which is probably the one I'll purchase. Just need to call them and find out if it handles DD 5.1/7.1.

2) I think I also saw a link or two to a Gefen product which would do the trick but it was out of my price range.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
Is He talking a bout a Cable or a Box?

I'm net to this forum this is my second post I just got through Posting my first post I joined in Febuary and is just getting to use this account. I got too caught up in the AVS forum.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
It is true that if you split a signal, whether electrical or optical, each output will be half of what the input was. In fact, it will be a little less than half, as there is some insertion loss in all splitters. To offset this, a distribution or booster amp may be necessary.

The output of a switch will also be a little lower than the input, again due to insertion loss. In fact, all passive devices such as splitters, switches, routers and even cable adapters have insertion loss. Cables themselves have loss. In short, direct runs this insertion loss has little or no effect on sound quality. But in long runs or when the signal is split, the can be a significant effect, up to and including complete loss of signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks