Looking for an alternative to iTUNES...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dick, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I download material from iTunes (.99 each song) and for what they offer it is a good service (and legal). But their inventory consists pretty much of recent stuff with only a few of the "big players" as far as catalog songs go. I am seeking something that, like iTunes, 1} Is legal 2} Does not require a rocket scientist to download and burn to disc (in fact, iTunes does it right from their own site) but, unlike iTunes offers oldies by more obscure artists, progressive rock like King Crimson, movie soundtrack music, etc. Is there such a thing, or might I have to wait three or four years for iTunes to build up their inventory to include the more esoteric fare?

2. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Despite being a die-hard Apple fan, I've tried the other services specifically because I wanted more in the way of movie soundtracks. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the other services. I've resigned myself to waiting on iTunes to get more of what I want (which they are slowly doing). It's just not worth sacrificing the ease of use to jack with the other services.

Plus, if it's something I've just gotta have right now, I'll just go buy the CD.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This whole business is an Infant- just like CD or DVD when it first arrived, reissues of old material are going to be slow going. Itunes is BY FAR the best service right this minute, and so if you can't find what you're looking for there- you likely will be more disappointed with the other services...

-V

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

5. Michael St. Clair

I agree that iTunes is the best service at this moment. The minority who are looking for more offbeat and 'indy' music should check out EMusic, as they service that market with DRM-free MP3 (not AAC or WMA) at a low flat rate.

As far as King Crimson goes, label owner Robert Fripp feels 99 cents is too high of a price point for downloaded music, so I don't expect to see them on iTunes in the near future. He is a DRM fan though, so don't look for them on EMusic either.

6. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

I've found a lot of obscure and really cheap (My price per track average is way under 99 cents) used CD's in the Amazon.com z-shops.

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/sub...305836-8485711

Obviously, this doesn't offer the instant gratification that donwloading provides, but I think its a pretty solid alternative until iTunes expands is library.

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Seth - why the eBay link?

8. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Well I've found you can get lots of used CDs cheap. A lot less than $.99 a track and they're not 128kbit AAC quality either.