What's new

Looking for a new table saw (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'm suddenly in the market for new table saw, hopefully soon. Can anyone recommend one or point me to a table saw review online? I've seen table saw shootouts in magazines, but never bought them because I didn't need a saw then, but I do now.

jeremy

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What kind of budget, what kind of material, and what kind of usage (ie. casual, production) are you looking at?

I like Deltas. I have the equivalent of the 36-675 , with a cast table. I have mine on a mobile base. I doubt I will ever need to buy another saw, unless I win the lotto and get a Great White with a Beisemeyer fence.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Jeremy, did you get a saw? I'd suggest a Delta Unisaw or Powermatic model 66 for furniture building. Both are excellent tools. The Delta is a right tilt arbor, while the Powermatic is a left tilt.

If you're looking for something a little cheaper, then the Powermatic 64 is the best contractor sized saw I've used. Left tilt, cast table, can be wired for 220, and comes with a great fence. Get the 52 inch wide model.

BTW, if you're just starting to assemble your woodshop, then I strongly suggest you purchase a nice dust collector at the same time you get your saw.

And always wear hearing protection! Movies won't be the same if you can't hear the dialog.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Jeremy,
Check out http://www.woodworking.org/. They have a tool survey (done by actual owners of the tools) as well as an excellent forum. Questions like left vs right tilt (and required HP) depend on what type of work you'll be doing. I have a large cabinet saw but still prefer to perform initial panel cutting with my circular saw and a straight edge. Regardless of your selection, I would strongly suggest getting a quality blade (most included blades aren't that great), good push blocks, and hearing/eye protection with your saw. You may also want to replace the stock splitter and blade guard on the saw (aftermarket options tend to be much better).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks