What's new

Long component video cable recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Eyer

Auditioning
I need a 25' (had to be careful not to pull a Spinal Tap there) RCA-to-RCA component cable. I don't have any experience with cable runs this long and I don't want to make a costly mistake. Any recommendations?
Should I just try to make my own? I don't have a crimping tool but it might be cheaper.
Any thoughts?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You want 75ohm terminations on your cable and you need to ensure that it has enough bandwidth to carry the signal. Check out this website for all the details. Radio Shack sells a cable stripper if you need to save some $$$ (you will still need the Canare crimp die).
If this is too much trouble, call up Bettercables or Have, Inc. and place an order.
Greg
[Edited last by Greg_R on August 16, 2001 at 05:02 PM]

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Shawn -
That is the length of the component video cables I had custom-made by Houston-based Electro-Tex: http://www.electrotex.com/cables.htm Although I was able to stop by their shop and pick up my order a couple of days after I placed it, they also take orders over the Internet and ship anywhere.
I had to have a BNC connector at one end and an RCA at the other end of each of the three cables, but they will make them with any configuration you specify. Be sure to let them know that this is for component video, rather than A/V, so all three cables will be identical length 75 ohm cables.
They use top quality parts and the workmanship is excellent. The cost was reasonable too, compared to other ready-made cables -- about $65 total, as I recall. And the performance is outstanding.
Of course, DIY is probably cheaper if you have access to the tools and can find the quality of parts you want without a lot of hassle.
Good luck -
Burke
Burke

Shawn Eyer

Auditioning
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm trying to keep it in the $100 range, which I fear rules out Bettercables (I expect a quote of around $200 from them based on their site.)
I am probably going to buy some total cheapies as temps. Hate to do it, but I need something to compare the performance cables to so I can decide on one in an educated way. For a quality cable it looks like $150+ is standard for the length I want/need. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Shawn: I have some Canare component cable (V3-5CFB), Canare connectors and the special crimp tools needed to put it all together. Since I'm just up the freeway from you, email me and we'll see if we can work something out.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I will tell you how to make some very cheap (under 25 dollars) cables that I am sure will look just as good as any cable you could buy a 10 times the price. I know these cables look good because I have built this exact length.
You need to go to Radio Shack and buy three RG6 lengths of regular old cable make sure it is 75Ohm cable. Then buy the adapters for the ends. My application needed RCA on one end and BNC on the other. Radio Shack makes F-Type to BNC or RCA connectors you just screw them on to the end of the cables. I would put my set of cables that I made like this against any snake oil cables out there. Of course if the name on the cables matters to you then these cables are not for you.
Kevin C. :)

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Kevin,
I did exactly the same thing to make a run to my projector. Just plain old cable just like you plug between the wall cable outlet and your VCR. Three runs of that + 6 connectors from Radio Shack. Inexpensive, simple, and works like a champ! This cabling will run *very* long, too.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Those suggesting RG6 cables are quite right. For the ultimate in paranoia you can obtain it quad shielded. RG6 is used in satellite installations where the bandwidth exceeds 1 gigahertz and far longer cable runs than yours are required. Therefore in a home installation, regardless of tv or source output, there will be absolutely no problems handling your bandwidth requirements with ease. Even RG59 is more than adequate for a 25 foot run. It also can be obtained with shielding overkill and even with silver coating/cladding on the conductor wire. Gee, this even sounds like some of the cables that are advertised??? I wonder!

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
If you go with the Radio Shack (or whatever brand) RG6 cables with F-connectors, make sure that the RCA or BNC adaptors which you add are high quality 75 ohm models that fit tightly on the ends of the RG6 to minimize signal loss with this additional mechanical connection at each end. Which also means you want "screw on" rather than "push on" F-connectors on the RG6 (or RG59).
Burke

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
These bandwidth comparisons to satellite miss one very important point-
The signal that travels on the RG6 line from the LNB to the receiver contains a DIGITAL signal. Component video is analog. So while a 12db signal loss, for example, is unimportant to DSS, provided signal strength at the box is adequate, 12db loss along a component video line is disastrous.
Impedance mismatch on the cable can cause ringing and ghosting, as well as what looks like Y/C delay. Bottom line- the picture may end up slightly softer than perhaps it should be.
Having said that, you don't need to spend big bucks. I don't like using regular RG6 cable, due to the copper-clad steel center conductor. I prefer wire with an all copper center conductor, as well as copper braided shielding, with good coverage. Lest we not forget, the shield is also the return signal path.
Canare L-4CFB (RG59 size) and Canare L-5CFB(RG-6 size) are two such cables. They can be had for 25-35c per foot from places like Markertek. They also have the Canare true 75ohm crimp on connectors. Contrary to what you might think, you can buy a crimper at Radio Shack that will fit these and give a good, solid crimp. I did.
Belden 1694A (RG6 size) is another such cable.
Todd

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you don't really think we're going to lose 12 db with rg6 on a 25 foot run do you? and yes, rg59 is fine also and can be had with a silver coating for truly nominal price increases for those who feel that may make an improvement.
all that said and done, one certainly doesn't need to spend a fortune for quality cables.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
one certainly doesn't need to spend a fortune for quality cables.
We both agree on that. My 10ft Canare component cables cost $18 for six true 75ohm RCAs, plus 7.20 (.24 x 30ft) for the cable. $25 total.
I'm simply saying that I wouldn't use copper-clad steel for video transfer. You can do better for the same money.
Todd

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
quite agreed. the steel is there for those long runs where there may be many bends and such. in terms of signal quality, to my understanding there is no difference since the signal in these cases travels on the outside of the cable anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks