What's new

Live from QuakeCon 2002 (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well here I am sitting at my BYOC station at QuakeCon 20002. So far I have been having a blast, tons of great things here to see and do. Saw Doom III on the Doom III theater....if you are a doubter about Doom III, quit doubting it now, seriously in motion in person INCREDIBLE! The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is fantastic. I am uploading pics to my webserver now. WIll post them soon.

Well they have blocked FTP and other upload formats so no pics until monday from me.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Man, I saw the two shots they have up at Gamespy, and am just dying for this game to come out. The two shots look amazing. I've read a few other places about how good the sound is, so that's encouraging. Your a lucky man to be there!:)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yes it is real great here. Got in on a nice little meeting with Carmack and about 18 of us QuakeCon Attendies. You would not believe some of the things he told us.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
im I the only person upset by the fact that I will most likely need to shell out something like 400-500 bucks just to be able to play Doom III? I have a new p4 2.2 with 256 mb RAM and thats not even cutting it close for whats to be needed to play this game. I need like the Radeon Nvidia GeForce 9000 256 DDR Ram video card with Soundblaster Cutting Edge 5.1 sound card to experience the game.

i think Ill just wait and hope that it comes out for xbox.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
im I the only person upset by the fact that I will most likely need to shell out something like 400-500 bucks just to be able to play Doom III?
Another reason to get the X-Box version. Then again, that investment in your PC will be like an investment in a HT: you'll use it for more than just one thing.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
With a P4 2.2GHz and 256 MB RAM your machine should be just fine. What kind of graphics card are you using now?

I don't understand why people think that Doom 3 will put such high demands on their PCs. If you look closely at the latest images you'll see that the models aren't made up of extreme amounts of polygons. Instead they use lots of bump maps and high resolution textures to achieve that look. From what I understand they also use some of the newer shading features in OpenGL.

You'll need a powerful machine and a good graphics card with plenty of texture memory, but not the Cray supercomputer most people seem to think.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Another reason to get the X-Box version. Then again, that investment in your PC will be like an investment in a HT: you'll use it for more than just one thing.
You'll be able to use your xbox for more than one thing by that point, most likely. :)
As somone who owns both a power PC (AMD 2100+ w/ a Geforce 4 4400) and an Xbox, i'm going to go with the Xbox. I have friend who really got turned onto GTA3 lately and one spent a ton of money becuase his old P3 600 wasn't really powerful enough to run it. He spent more on his new video card than he would have on a used PS2 + GTA3.
I gotta admit, if the game exists on both the console & the PC, 99% of the time I'll get the console version.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i agree, i always prefer the console versions. Although, someone made a good point about the resolutions of computers etc, (whereas xbox DIII will most likely be 640x480, etc).

but, I have a huge problem paying more for a video card than i did for my whole upgrade to a p4 2.2 (mb, cpu & ram was 300.00 - new geforce 4 ti4600 128 is like 400ish)

you also make a good point that a new video card/upgrade is way more expensive than getting a console and game etc.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
i agree, i always prefer the console versions
I don't like playing anything but mindless, non-fps, action games on my consoles. Mario, sonic, sports games, and racing games are pretty much all I like playing on consoles. Everything else looses my interest too quickly. First person shooters, RPG, and adventure games I like playing on PC's. Its way easier to control and they usually turn out looking better. Plus I can play them and watch tv at the same time :) Something about sitting on the floor or couch playing certain types of games just annoys me.
Console games (and console people) and PC games (and PC people) have always been different breeds. Each year the consoles keep getting prettier and more powerful, but the distinction between pc games and console games is still basically there.

Gary King

Second Unit
the latest images you'll see that the models aren't made up of extreme amounts of polygons
For every polygon in the scene, add two to the total number of polygons per lightsource to get a better estimate for the total number of polygons drawn.

The shadow technique that Doom III uses is extremely intensive on both fill rate and geometry performance, even though it isn't obvious in screen shots.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
A good GF3 will have dropped to next to nothing by the time this game hits the shelves. Hell, even GF4 cards will be decently priced by then.

For every polygon in the scene, add two to the total number of polygons per lightsource to get a better estimate for the total number of polygons drawn.
Still, a good T&L card can facilitate that process. From the E3 video that was leaked on the internet you won't see an overabundance of monsters at any one time.
I have read John Carmack's notes on stencil shadow volumes. Even so, he claims that the GF4 MX should be able to run Doom 3 properly, although it should be avoided if you want the best results. The Geforce 3 does seem to be the entry level that he's going for.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
A TI 4200 128MB can be easily found for under $200, and still offer great performance. The Geforce 4's only become exorbitantly priced when you hit the 4600's.

-Dave

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the info that he told us was just how to make the Doom III engine ourselves...nothing to big.

Oh and BTW - if you read the Q & A from his Keynote the question about when can we play Doom III was asked by me.

PS - don't buy a Radeon 9700...Carmack went off on ATi in the private meeting.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah there is a bug in ATi's current drivers preventing Doom III's editor from being able to run. He said he had reported the bug to ATi two weeks ago and at the time of the meeting they still hadn't fixed it. On the other hand he went to describe a bug that nVidia's card had that involved the dual layering some textures and then have one set inverse, basically it was just something he was playing with..well nVidia's drivers didn't work so he emailed them and they had a fix in two days.

He did say he shouldn't have said bad things about them as they were the main sponsor of the event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks