Live from QuakeCon 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well here I am sitting at my BYOC station at QuakeCon 20002. So far I have been having a blast, tons of great things here to see and do. Saw Doom III on the Doom III theater....if you are a doubter about Doom III, quit doubting it now, seriously in motion in person INCREDIBLE! The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is fantastic. I am uploading pics to my webserver now. WIll post them soon.

Well they have blocked FTP and other upload formats so no pics until monday from me.

2. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Man, I saw the two shots they have up at Gamespy, and am just dying for this game to come out. The two shots look amazing. I've read a few other places about how good the sound is, so that's encouraging. Your a lucky man to be there![​IMG]

3. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Cool, Kelley!
    This is gonna be good [​IMG]

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Yes it is real great here. Got in on a nice little meeting with Carmack and about 18 of us QuakeCon Attendies. You would not believe some of the things he told us.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

So go on, tell us [​IMG]

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

And we'll see if we believe or not... [​IMG]

7. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

im I the only person upset by the fact that I will most likely need to shell out something like 400-500 bucks just to be able to play Doom III? I have a new p4 2.2 with 256 mb RAM and thats not even cutting it close for whats to be needed to play this game. I need like the Radeon Nvidia GeForce 9000 256 DDR Ram video card with Soundblaster Cutting Edge 5.1 sound card to experience the game.

i think Ill just wait and hope that it comes out for xbox.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

9. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

With a P4 2.2GHz and 256 MB RAM your machine should be just fine. What kind of graphics card are you using now?

I don't understand why people think that Doom 3 will put such high demands on their PCs. If you look closely at the latest images you'll see that the models aren't made up of extreme amounts of polygons. Instead they use lots of bump maps and high resolution textures to achieve that look. From what I understand they also use some of the newer shading features in OpenGL.

You'll need a powerful machine and a good graphics card with plenty of texture memory, but not the Cray supercomputer most people seem to think.

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

11. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i agree, i always prefer the console versions. Although, someone made a good point about the resolutions of computers etc, (whereas xbox DIII will most likely be 640x480, etc).

but, I have a huge problem paying more for a video card than i did for my whole upgrade to a p4 2.2 (mb, cpu & ram was 300.00 - new geforce 4 ti4600 128 is like 400ish)

you also make a good point that a new video card/upgrade is way more expensive than getting a console and game etc.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

13. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

14. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

A good GF3 will have dropped to next to nothing by the time this game hits the shelves. Hell, even GF4 cards will be decently priced by then.

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

A TI 4200 128MB can be easily found for under $200, and still offer great performance. The Geforce 4's only become exorbitantly priced when you hit the 4600's.

-Dave

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

The 4600's can be had for $270 nowadays...

17. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

18. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

A lot of the info that he told us was just how to make the Doom III engine ourselves...nothing to big.

Oh and BTW - if you read the Q & A from his Keynote the question about when can we play Doom III was asked by me.

PS - don't buy a Radeon 9700...Carmack went off on ATi in the private meeting.

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Yeah there is a bug in ATi's current drivers preventing Doom III's editor from being able to run. He said he had reported the bug to ATi two weeks ago and at the time of the meeting they still hadn't fixed it. On the other hand he went to describe a bug that nVidia's card had that involved the dual layering some textures and then have one set inverse, basically it was just something he was playing with..well nVidia's drivers didn't work so he emailed them and they had a fix in two days.

He did say he shouldn't have said bad things about them as they were the main sponsor of the event.