What's new

Little off topic - any fans of the 480p/720p 5.1 XBOX games? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
I figured home theater guys are the only folks who appreciate. The wife bought me an XBOX for Christmas, and I can't believe how great some of these games look and sound with the in-game DD and progressive scan. Absolutely phenominal. SSX3 for example has big, boomy bass and discrete rear effects that rivals some big hollywood flicks. OK, I'm done talking about video games. I just had to get that out of my system.

Alanna

Second Unit
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one around here that's a "graphics whore" (as EGM and other publications used to call it) and I'm a chick to boot. That's just not supposed to happen. Anyways, if you REALLY want to see what 720 Xbox games are made of, check out Soul Caliber 2. Its not widescreen, it plays in a 4:3 window but oh my God its gorgeous. So crisp, so beautiful... then I popped in what I consider to be one of the best looking games for the Box, Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball and it looked like poo in comparison. The Sims: Bustin' Out is rather eye catching too (especially for a Sims game) and runs butter smooth. But nothing (and I mean NOTHIN') compares to the glory of SC2 in 720p. Yum.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Hate to disagree, but I don't agree. For me Soul Caliber just looks a little too cartoonish. And the clothing effects, where the charachters' clothing is supposed to move realisticlly, look way too stiff - kind of like they are wearing doll's clothing made out of stiff fabric or something...
But I do agree that the Xbox can be a thing of beauty. Having grown up with PC quality graphics, I was tremendously disapointed with most of the PS2 games I saw and ended up taking that system back. Xbox graphics however, come close enough to PC quality that I can live with the difference. For some reason a lot of the football games look really nice to me, maybe because some, like NCAA, are in 16:9 and fill the whole of the screen.

Alanna

Second Unit

This was a decision made by the developers. They wanted a more pronounced anime look this time and I think it adds charm to the game, even if they made my gal Sophitia look like an old maid in this one. Ugh! Anyhow the detail in this game is amazing in 720p. It whips the pants off stuff like SSX3 and other 480 only games, that while it does have ok graphics and "takes up the whole screen", doesn't even come close to SC2. I hope the next Dead or Alive game supports it...I'd love to see my DOA girls in their full glory.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
There are so many good looking games on xbox, but the first to that come to mind are:
DOA 3
Halo
Splinter cell
Dragon's layer looked pretty good in 1080i but it was just to goofy to play.

Alanna

Second Unit
Dragon's Lair was a pretty underrated game. It looks pretty good in 1080i and stays pretty faithful to the laserdisc original. Its definitely worth the cash.

Brian Mixon

Agent
Their gonna see about Halo 2 being able to handle running in 720p. And if all goes well and it also displays in 16:9 my pants will be officially filled.

Alanna

Second Unit
Splinter Cell was OK but I think graphically it was WAY over hyped. And yes, I'm talking about the XBox version. :)

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
The best games i've played on my Sony GW III are probably SSX 3, Tony Hawk: UNDERGROUND (1080i), and Crimson Skies.

It really sucks when you have a widescreen tv and many of the games released today still don't support widescreen. I don't know what is wrong with these companies but it's like only certain developers have heard the news that widescreen tv's are taking over very quickly. EA seems to get it as most of their games are widescreen but they are one of the only developers that consistently does.

Xbox is suppose to be the most advanced videogame console out there and yet Microsoft's own first party games often don't even support it. This past fall only 2 of their big games had widescreen support (Ampted 2 and Project Gotham 2).

Tiger

Alanna

Second Unit
I don't like "them thar black bars" on my tv when playing video games. :) Sounds like some dude complaining about a widescreen movie on his 4:3 tv. hehe... but yeah it irritates me. It can't be too much trouble to throw in widescreen support and so many would appreciate it.. its weird that supposedly "big" titles like Prince of Persia "just say no" to widescreen while a niche title like Super Monkey Ball 2 on Gamecube has WS support. I just don't get it sometimes...

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's really all about the developer. Some of them seem to "get it" and other don't. Sega seems to be one that gets it. Nintendo is probably the worst offender. Not a single in house, Nintendo developed game has had widescreen support on the Gamecube. The only first party titles that offered it were actually developed by other people. It's just one more example of how out of touch Nintendo is with the current gaming world. :frowning:

Dan

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
It seems strange, what with the big increase in 16:9 RPTV sales I keep reading about, that developers just don't seem to give a shit about supporting 16:9 users.

Tony_L

Grip

Splinter Cell overhyped... graphically? I beg to differ on this one; Splinter Cell's lighting and shadow effects were the most advanced I've ever seen in a videogame. They changed the way I looked at shadows in other titles. Seeing as how you're pretty high on Soul Calibur, maybe Splinter Cell's visuals weren't colorful enough for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks