What's new

Little Miss Sunshine to street 12/19 (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I would of liked to have more input from the actor's on the special features. Whether it was their participation in a commentary, or short interviews about their thoughts on the script, the way the story developed or even their thoughts on working with each other.

The film was a pretty good example of ensemble acting and just would of liked to see more of the actor's point of view. I am a realist and know most of the actor's bounce right into another project after completing one - just wishful thinking on my part I guess.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

The audience for this film was a lot like that of MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. It was a mainstream film, the audience found after a lot of critics had written it off. I didn't like either, but I can see why grandmothers and other like the film. Fairly inoffensive, small film, with a few laughs here and there.

I don't know what the DVD sales were for WEDDING, but I would expect both films to do about the same. I can see it having a big display in Wal Mart, and Joe and Jane Sixpack saying "Oh, wouldn't this be something to get Aunt Gertrude?"

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
We must read different critics. With the exception of Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly (who was lukewarm), the reviews I saw were overwhelmingly favorable. The film has a 92% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

M.

Jace_A

Second Unit

I completely disagree. Little Miss Sunshine was nothing like MBFGW. Where is the acerbic humour or irony in MBFGW? What you saw is what you got in MBFGW. It was all surface. If you think LMS is a 'feel good' movie, then it went way over your head.

And MBFGW grossed ten times the amount LMS grossed. LMS won't sell a fraction of the DVDs MBFGW sold.

MatS

Screenwriter
exactly Michael
this movie was huge success with the critics so much so I was tempted to avoid it fearing it was overhyped

the only similarities between this flick and MBFGW are they were both smaller budget films that intentionally opened small and had legs at the box office due to incredible word of mouth

I guess all this other sidetrack talk (comparing to other movies) is because people don't have anything to say about the software (dvd)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup. I see no way in which "Wedding" and "Sunshine" compare. "Wedding" made over $200 million at the box office and was embraced by middle-aged women, NOT a crowd who will likely enjoy "Sunshine". Very different flicks, very different critical receptions, very different audiences, very different tones...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It may not have made the same amount of money, but the "middle aged women" crowd is the one that I thought SUNSHINE was geared toward. They are the ones that would respond the strongest to it.

The audience I saw it with, mostly middle aged or older, LOVED the film. I remember seeing this older man sitting in front of me, in his late 60's or 70's, pounding his chair with laughter over some scenes that I didn't even smirk at.

Meanwhile, I'm in my 30's , go to a lot of movies, and had felt I had seen all the jokes before, so the film didn't work for me. I felt that I was probably too young and jaded for the film, that older audiences, who didn't get out much, would go for it a bit more. The same thing I thought about MBFGW.

As for the critical reaction, you are right, it does seem critics did like it. I guess I was just prejudiced by the early Sundance reviews, that saw it as a Hollywood film trying to pretend it was an indie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If the movie had been a traditional feel-good look at an ugly duckling kid who makes good, then I'd agree. But this movie's too dark and the family too dysfunctional for it to make sense as aging matron fare. They loved the cheap fairy tale of Wedding - they're less likely to go for flicks with drug-addicted grandpas, niihilistic teens and gay, suicidal guys...

Jace_A

Second Unit

I think you need to giv e it a rest. The film in no way resembles a sitcom, it's intention was not to be "edgy" (whatever that means) and whilst I'm sure a number of 'aging matrons' enjoyed the film, it was not targeted to any audience, in particular and has a wide cross section of appeal.

MatS

Screenwriter
back to your regularly scheduled programming.......

I finally had a chance to check out the beginning of the dvd last night and must say it looks fantastic (equal to or better than I remember in the theater).

Guess my eyes aren't as discriminating as others

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mat, what dislpay are you using.
if this looked better then your local theater i have to wonder how bad it looked there.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night with my G/F on her 51 inch TV and I thought it looked pretty good. I few times I looked for EE but didnt really notice any. Problem was after just a few seconds, Id got swept back into the movie and completely forgot about the transfer.

My G/F loved it, laughed out loud many times. I thought it was very funny,Alan Arkin was hysterical and the little girl was wonderful.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I agree completely. I'm so glad the filmmakers avoided the temptation to go for overly cute and precocious, which is too often how those sorts of roles are cast and directed.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I didn't find the picture quality to be distracting at all. I actually enjoyed their disfunctional family. It makes my family look like the Bradys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks