What's new

Let the Tweaking Begin (1 Viewer)

OK, first of all, I finally have a complete HT system. My 57HX81 arrived yesterday! Along with my Tandberg amps, Paradigm studio 20's and CC, M&K V 125 sub, and a Sherwood Newcastle 9080 and Pioneer DV414, I've got a pretty good system for not too much dough.

So here's the question: Where do you start tweaking first? I'm going to run the Video Essentials DVD tonight, but what should come next? What is the one "killer tweak" that I can't afford to miss?

Thanks,

Bob

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Calibrating your system and setting it up properly doesn't count as a tweak in my book. There are some threads on this forum about how to properly set up a home theater, I suggest you start there. I think there's a FAQ section or something like that. I would say that proper speaker setup would be the most important thing you can do for the overall sound of your system.

And as far as tweaks go, make sure your setup is done correctly before you start trying to change anything.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I would agree with Saurav, that calibration should be priority number one along with placement issues. I know that most everyone has some sort of placement constraints, but I would focus on the best possible placement of your speakers to achieve their best possible sound. After that, I would maybe look at damping/isolating components, which can be done with something as cheap as sand and ziplock bags.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Get your system to the point where you are comfortable with it and the way it sounds. Subtle changes are much easier noticed with your familiarity in place. Setting up your system properly(calibrating) is not a tweak however its something you should do.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Initially I'd opt for speaker/system/listener(s) placement. If you have a significant other, one thing I'd certainly do is determine just how much leeway you're going to have along these lines. Then stay within those lines! The displeasure of a spouse lasts for a longgggggggg time.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I agree with Chu that speaker placement is important.
I would also focus on two things:
(1) using good quality cables for interconnect and speaker wire
(2) using an AC line conditioner to eliminate EMI and RFI
:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't gotten the ubiquitous RadioShack SPL meter, get one. Many threads on this and other forums exist indicating its use so I'll not go over them here.

Working with your room layout, understanding where large frequency bumps are adjusting things, perhaps buying plants, curtains, draperies, in order to tame reflections will likely prove challenging and rewarding. Keep a notebook to record what you've done, the effects upon sound levels or frequency responses and your own personal assessment...did you like it...better...worse. Also pay visits to places that have high end systems since those are likely the ones where someone has paid special attention to the room and study the room. You may find ideas that you can incorporate into your own environment and quite often without resorting to expensive propositions.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That's good advice.

Basically, try to get to the reason behind why someone would put funny-looking stuff in the corner of the room, and see if you can achieve the same thing with say a plant or a bookshelf, as opposed to spending money on buying other funny-looking things and then expecting them to work miracles and solve problems by themselves. That, to me, is my idea of 'tweaking', and what makes it fun to do. Randomly throwing money at this hobby is usually not very rewarding in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks