What's new

Legend of the Drunken Master! WOW!!!! (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I just saw Legend of the Drunken Master, and all I can say is WOW! It is one of the best genre films from Hong Kong or from anywhere I've ever seen. Some of the most amazing fight sequences I've ever seen. Jet Li may be good, but he is absolutely no match for Chan when it comes to excitement, fight sequences, and pure fun. Chan was absolutely amazing in this. This was a total blast. I'm interested in some thoughts on this film from people who've seen it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you'd like it even better unbutchered and with the original language and music restored

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I assume that's the sequel to Legend of the Drunken Master? If so, is Chan in that as well?

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
They are both the same movie. The Legend of Drunken Master is the US title. You should check out Drunken Master, it's pretty good too.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I enjoyned "Drunken Master 2" as well, but if you are comparing Jet Li and Jackie Chan, I assume you are only using Li's post-Hong Kong work. This has been weak stuff, for the most part. I would hold up Jet Li's "Once Upon a Time in China" (and it's first sequel) to anything Chan has done. Their styles are very different, though. It is like comparing Gene Kelly with Fred Astaire. Both are very different dancers in the same way Li and Chan are different in style of HK flick. While DK2 is a fun romp, check out Li's take on Wong Fei-hung.

Can one get a Region 1 or 0 version of DK2? I can only find the Legend of the Drunken Master version (which, while nice for the stunt work, sucks for everything else). I had Project A 2 on DVD R0 and would have thought DK2 would have made a good R0 disc, as well. Will keep eye out for it.

Ciao,

Phil

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
No, I've seen a number of Jet Li's Hong Kong films. I still think Chan's work, is funnier, more exciting, more amazing, and more awe-inspiring. Li is amazing as well, but to me Chan is better.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The final fight in DM2 between Jackie Chan and Ken Lo is one of the best fights ever captured on film.

The only thing cut from the original was the ending (I always thought the American version ended kind of abruptly) and even though I'm an original language purist, the dub is pretty good, and unlike the Cantonese version, the English version features Jackie Chan's voice.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I personally prefer Jet Li overall, but I don't think this should come into the discussion of this great movie.

Watching Drunken Master 2 always gives me two feelings: exhiliration and sadness. The first is a given, it features some of the most amazing fight sequences ever. Why the second? Because watching it reminds me of what Chan is doing today. Not that his movies aren't entertaining, but he will never be as all out physically in comparison. In terms of pure action, this was probably the last movie that shows him at the height of his powers.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
He's considerably older. Age catches up with everyone. Also, he's become mainstream and successful in Hollywood. He's making 15 million bucks a picture now. I'd bet that if he was still doing movies of that sort, in Hong Kong, he'd still be tremendous. Some of his stuff in recent films was amazing. But he's just older, and didn't make it in Hollywood until he'd progressed in age. Although, he never really tried. His performance and moves in Rumble In the Bronx was utterly brilliant as well. The fight scene in the gang clubhouse was unbelievable.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
His last HK film, "The Accidental Spy" was inspired in several places, but age is definately catching up to Jackie Chan. He's still great, but he's no longer amazing.

The Accidental Spy has been picked up by Disney for butchering in the US, and a Region 0 DVD with a DTS track is available from Hong Kong (legit)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I guess if you're comparing him to when he was 20, then no, he wouldn't be as amazing as he was then. I don't know how old he is, but I still consider him unbelievable.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Terrell, the sadness that I expressed *is* about the fact that he is no longer at the top of his game. That does not make him unamazing, but there is a difference between now and before. I believe he's almost 50, and this definitly shows that he has maintained himself in very good condition. But the bottom line is that Drunken Master 2 represents something he can no longer do; he will never go out as far as that movie anymore.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, many people thought that he was washed up before DM2. He worked really hard to get back into top form for that film. If you notice the films he was making before DM2, such as Police Story 3 aka Supercop relied more on stunts, and not on lengthy fight scenes. However, the fight scenes in Gorgeous were pretty darn 'amazing'.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Ok, is Drunken Master 2 the same film As Legend of the Drunken Master? I'm confused. Is Drunken Master 2 the Hong Kong name, and Legend of the Drunken Master the American name?

By the way, is this film out on DVD? If so, is it a good DVD?

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I agree, THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER had some amazing fighting sequences, LOONG fight sequences, too!

Great stuff!

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Yes DM2 is the same as LotDM just renamed.
Yes it is available on DVD but the R1 (as Jeff pointed out) is dubbed and cut.
I have the R1 and don't mind it at all.;)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
WOAH! I didn't know Jackie Chan was in his 40s when he made this film. Amazing. He sure doesn't look like he's in his 40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks