What's new

Leg/Foot Cramps...How do you stop them? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I was sleeping in peacefully when around 6:45 I wake up all of a sudden. I just move my left leg slightly, and out of nowhere, my calf just cramps up like crazy. Now my calf is sore, and I walk funny.

That happened this morning, but everyday, I would wake up at some hour of the night, and my toes would be curled, and the arch of my foot would cramp.

How do you keep this stuff from happening in the first place?

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I used to have these a lot... Excercise of the calfs and feet helps... Also make sure youre not dehydrated...

What I did for a while was I would sit on the couch and "flex" my calf or foot in such a way that a cramp would come on... After a few weeks of that, they went away pretty much for good...

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
You cant stop them, you can only hope to contain them. :D Seriously, though, I've heard that they can be caused by a lack of potasium (sp). Try eating banana's or other potasium rich foods. I've had a couple of those leg cramps in my life and man, talk about a rude awaking. I remember coming out my sleep thinking something was wrong and then WHAM, full on leg cramp. I think I injured myself worse though from jumping around the bedroom in agony knocking stuff over. Probably a pretty funny sight in hindsight.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
While sleeping, blood flow may have been cut off from your leg. At least a bit.

Best advice: the moment you wake up, make sure the first movement you make with your feet is to flex your ankles towards you (stretched toes towards your chin). If possible rather strongly and make certain they don't move in the other direction (effectively stretching your feet) first. Keep your knees stretched during that little excercise.

Also, when the cramp already started, grab the toes of the same foot and pull your foot towards you. It may end the cramp much faster and thus result in less pain afterwards.

Cees

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I always stop a foot cramp by immediately putting my foot flat on the floor and putting all my weight on it, sometimes all my weight on the ball of the foot, depending where the cramp is. It hurts like hell for about 5-10 seconds, but then it goes away.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
That's the funny thing. I drink many large glasses of water everyday. But then again, I do have a lot of oriental sauces in my diet. Check out the sodium content on those things. :eek:

Yeah, I do need more potassium. I like bananas, but I get sick eating them. Prunes aren't exactly appetizing.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Sledgehammer?

;)

Seriously, water. I usually have some before bed...

...of course, then I get up at 4AM to get rid of it...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

There's a lot of potassium in Orange Juice, as long as you buy the NOT FROM CONCENTRATE brands.

If I get one, I usually do like Jeff. Get out of bed, lock the leg straight and put all my weight on it to stretch out the calf muscles. Usually OK after a few minutes, though sometimes sore for a day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks